Military Background

JoshPosh

Banned
Will having a military background help in the recruiting process? I would like to think that I would. It give you structure and discipline. So why wouldn't it help you in the hiring process?

SamClemensMT

So far as I know most police departments do give veterans bonus points on their applications. The police departments in the U.S. are mostly paramilitary organizations. Having a military background therefore makes you more easily trainable for the very reasons you mentioned.

greensat

It definitely would, you would probably get in 100% unless it was the last spot left and there was someone else with a military background plus something more. Having military background means you're able to follow protocol, you have "battle" experience, and also discipline and a good basis of how the hierarchy of the police force is like.

sokolskik

Military background definitely helps out a lot in the hiring process. Knowing you completed a boot camp/basic training gives the hiring authority a lot more confidence that you are not only squared away to complete the academy, but also that you have discipline and basic military character instilled in you. That helps tremendously when hiring and taking tests.

shilpa123

It would be definitely useful and totally worth it. But it is rare to see people with military background over here.

blur92

I would agree with the others here in saying that it would improve chances in getting hired for law enforcement. An individual with military background has already dealt and passed physical tests. Moreover, he or she has been trained to handle stressful situations. I do not see why a military background would not be beneficial.

JoanMcWench

Yea, there should be no reason having a military background would be a negative thing unless your military background has negatives within it. Like PTSD or dishonourable discharge. It's basically like having additional training to the training you receive from the police academy.

ally79

Yes, having a military background can definitely give you a leg up in the hiring process for law enforcement positions. Honestly, I hope that having a military background would give you a leg up to get any position. They gave their time and risked their lives for military service so they deserve good jobs when they get back.

OGRICHBOI

Although I do not know the exact recruiting guidelines, I do believe having a military background will help. Most cops in my area used to be a member of the Army for some reason, and they seem to get the job done. However, this is not a requirement, so even if you do not have a military background, you can still get hired.