New Hampshire woman lies to get out of ticket

Anthony

Super Moderator
Carley Williams, 28, of Nashua lied about dying father to get out of speeding ticket was arrested.
When State Trooper Christopher J. Cummings pulled over Williams for going 82mph in a 65mph the New Hampshire woman cried her way out of a speeding ticket.
"I took her driver’s licence and asked a question that I ask everyone I pull over. I asked if there was an emergency,†She told the officer that the reason she was speeding was to get to the hospital to see her father on his deathbed with stage four cancer.
"I'm pretty used to people trying to bend the truth to get out of speeding citations, but this woman preyed on my emotions as a human being," Trooper Christopher J. Cummings told reporters.
"She told me her father had stage four cancer, that he was breathing only six breaths a minute, and that she was trying to make it to the hospital before he passed," he said. "There was a good act that went along with it." "She seemed pretty emotional. It made me believe that this person was legitimately telling me the truth."
Before the officer let her go, he wrote down the name of the hospital and her father’s name.
He did not want to prevent Williams from getting to her father’s bedside in time. Cummings let her go with just a warning and told her to drive safely.
Later when go back to the police station he called the hospital to verify her story, hospital staff told the officer the man wasn’t a patient. He then ran a search online and found the man’s obituary on a funeral home website dating 2008.
Angry and upset that Williams fabricated the story to get out of a speeding ticket, he went to her house to arrest her.
"I was upset," said Mr Cummings. "For someone to lie about their deceased father just to get out of a speeding ticket was pretty upsetting to me as a person,†he told reporters.
When Williams answered the door, she told the officer that the name in the obituary was her uncle.
After being arrested and brought down to the Nashua police station she confessed to the officer that she made the story up just so she can get out of the speeding ticket.
Williams was released from jail on Sunday and is charged with driving with a suspended registration and speeding.
"You can't excuse the moral and ethical issue on how she attempted to get out of these charges," Lt. Wagner told reporters, "so that really is just a point of the situation that makes her situation worse. It speaks of her character of a person and it's disrespectful." "I think it's very important for everyone to understand, we're real people, real people under the uniform, and we're tasked with a job that we take great pride in," added Wagner.
"When you go to this extreme with this kind of elaborate story, and it's a story that really touches on morality and the values that we expect each person would have and hold to a high standard, it comes to a significant lie," he said.
When asked why she lied about her dad dying of cancer, Williams told reporters she had no comment.
Williams is due in court on Sept. 5 where she will face her charges.
Williams would have originally had a speeding ticket for $200, but now is looking at thousands in fees, a spokeperson said.

Jokester050288

Man thats really sad that some one could lie about their dear father just to get out of a freaking speeding ticket. I sware some peole just have no respect for the*dead. Good thing that officer did check in with that situation because she got what she deserved.

LuckyGirl08

It was not just her father she lied on, she replaced her dead uncle with her father. Her father may not even be dead and that is what is really sad. By saying her father is dying knowing it's really her uncle is dead is just like she is wishing death upon her father. The officer did a great job by following up on her story, at least she didn't get away with the lie this time.

DancingLady

I would think lying to a cop would be a pretty serious offense. It's one thing to refuse to answer a question, but to lie, you just can't do that. I don't see why she thought she could get away with it, it's so easy to find out the name of your parents when they get your name from you ID.

Profit5500

I cannot fathom why people who speed and get pulled over by the cop would just lie and assume they would not get caught. This trooper deserves to get a medal for his precise thinking. Its clear that the womans father was not a patient at the hospital and even the officer was furious went he had to go up to her door to serve the warrant.

stevesxs9

One thing about telling a lie, you always have to tell another one to keep the original one standing up. This lady displayed a lack of morals and no sense of decency, and the thousands of dollars she may have to pay out is more than justified.

Rainman

It beats me how people can come up with some of the dumbest lies in order to try to get out of a problem. In most cases they get themselves in deeper than they thought they would [just as that woman did]. While others may her judge harshly, one lesson we should learn from all these liars is this: you can get away with a lie once but eventually [when you least expect it] the person you lied to could try to verify your story and find out the truth. The solution? Don't lie. Don't even tell a 'white lie.'

GemmaRowlands

I think that it is terrible that there are people out there who could even consider telling lies of this nature. If they do have a relative who is unwell, they should be thankful that they are not about to die, and certainly shouldn't use their illness to their advantage when they're not even going to see them. This woman should be ashamed of herself, and I believe that the only way that people should be let off a speeding ticket is if they are able to provide proof of where they are going, and why they are going so fast. The ticket should be issued and then appealed, never simply waived in the first place.