NY Officer Saves 2-Month-Old Baby

Anthony

Super Moderator
officer_saves_kid.jpg
A New York City police officer is credited with saving the life of a 2-month-old baby who stopped breathing Tuesday morning.

Officer Johnny Castillo, 38, was on patrol in the area of East 196th Street and Grand Concourse. He was using a radar gun looking for speeding drivers at the busy Bronx intersection when a call came over his radio that a baby had stopped breathing, according to officials. Police say the location of the 911 call was coming from the apartment Castillo was parked right in front of.

Castillo said he ran up to the sixth floor apartment. He found both parents leaning over the unconscious baby lying on the dining room table, blue and not breathing.

"They were scared. They were really nervous," Castillo said of the parents.

The officer applied four light chest compressions, and the baby began moving and breathing on her own, according to authorities.

EMS workers soon arrived and transported the girl to Montefiore Medical Center, were she is in stable condition.

"I felt like it was my kid," Castillo, a father of five, said. I just told myself, "Don't be nervous. Don't be scared. Just take care of this little girl."

officerjohncastillo.jpg

Last edited:

urbanletter

This is a heartwarming story, and a definite relief from all the upsetting news involving police officers lately. I love when different aspects of police officers training comes into play successfully!:)

sharpayvargas1

It's a miracle everyone needs to know. Despite of negative stories I heard about police officers, there's this one highlight story. Every policeman story was so typical until this one. What does God want to say to us about this? That news don't always have to sound bad? Or that there's a hero side in police officers that we always forget?

headmaster

Officer Johnny Castillo puts back my faith in humanity. If I were the parents of the baby, I would add that awesome officer's names to my baby's, in honor of that man's heroic deed.

Peninha

Preparation is everything, the parents were helpless and four light chest compressions were enough to save the baby's life, well done Mr. Castillo! :)

Strykstar

This is not only a story of compassion but courage as well, if the chest compressions had went wrong, he would have been liable, not many people would risk it, I'm glad he did.

mimsee

Thank goodness this sweet little girl pulled through, and thank goodness he just happened to be right in front of the building. If you don't believe in fate, this is the kind of story that will make you believe.