On Call 24-7?

Rainman

Should an emergency arise, police officers can be called to work any time of the day even when they are off-duty. It can be very stressful especially if you work in those cities where violent crimes are committed almost every day.

Question: considering this complication how do you balance home life and work? Does police work negatively affect your home life since work commitments may demand spending little time with your family?

FuZyOn

I've had a friend that used to be a police officer. His relationship with his wife and kids was pretty damaged because he always needed to stay alert in case there was an emergency.
It's a very stressful job, you have to factor in the consequences when you decide to go to the police academy.

JoanMcWench

It's pretty rare that an officer who just got off shift will be called into an emergency situation unless the area we're referring to is understaffed. That's a dangerous move generally speaking, to have an officer over worked. It really affects their ability to police correctly.

dyanmarie25

I really think police officers have one of the most demanding jobs ever. You never know when you will be called to report back to work, even if you're off-duty. Somehow, I think it's affecting their lives: their relationships with their family and friends, but I know being a police officer, a public servant, somehow gives them pride.

Philosophydaddy

I've had a friend that used to be a police officer. His relationship with his wife and kids was pretty damaged because he always needed to stay alert in case there was an emergency.
It's a very stressful job, you have to factor in the consequences when you decide to go to the police academy.

Are you saying he was constantly on call? Seems like officers need some down time. If they can't have a drink and relax, then I'd figure they get burned out real quick.