Passenger Arrest?

blur92

A couple years ago I was getting a ride from my friend. He started driving like an idiot having taken a detour to a gravel parking lot. He was doing burnouts or doughnuts. I'm not entirely sure what they're called. Anyways, we had a few cops pull us over after we left and reached a subdivision. One of the cops that was present is notorious for being a bully in my city. Now, he yelled and my friend to the point of making him cry. My friend is not the kind of person who is intimidating. On the contrary, he comes across as very sensitive, dependent, etc. You can easily see this in person. There's not a threatening thing about him. The cop then tried intimidating me, however, I remained calm the entire time. I cooperated and let him search my bag although I could have said no. I answered all his questions. I maintained steady eye contact as we he trying to stare me down. I could tell he was getting flustered. He began threatening that I could be arrested for reckless driving because I was in the passenger seat. Could that have happened? It was dark out so the cop that initially saw us could not have seen my reaction to how my friend was driving. Honestly, I didn't encourage it and was somewhat terrified in the gravel parking lot. I can't think of any way he could pin the reckless driving on me.

primalclaws1974

A couple years ago I was getting a ride from my friend. He started driving like an idiot having taken a detour to a gravel parking lot. He was doing burnouts or doughnuts. I'm not entirely sure what they're called. Anyways, we had a few cops pull us over after we left and reached a subdivision. One of the cops that was present is notorious for being a bully in my city. Now, he yelled and my friend to the point of making him cry. My friend is not the kind of person who is intimidating. On the contrary, he comes across as very sensitive, dependent, etc. You can easily see this in person. There's not a threatening thing about him. The cop then tried intimidating me, however, I remained calm the entire time. I cooperated and let him search my bag although I could have said no. I answered all his questions. I maintained steady eye contact as we he trying to stare me down. I could tell he was getting flustered. He began threatening that I could be arrested for reckless driving because I was in the passenger seat. Could that have happened? It was dark out so the cop that initially saw us could not have seen my reaction to how my friend was driving. Honestly, I didn't encourage it and was somewhat terrified in the gravel parking lot. I can't think of any way he could pin the reckless driving on me.

The likely reason he said it was because you got under his skin and he was trying to upset you. The only way I can see a passenger getting charged with reckless driving is if they are involved in causing the driver to drive erratically. A passenger could cause this by shouting or hitting the driver, sexual acts, grabbing the wheel or obstructing the driver's view. If he didn't see this, and you didn't admit it, he can't charge you legally.

blur92

I didn't do any of that to the driver. Also, that particular cop was not there to witness the reckless driving. He was called in by a cop in an undercover cop car that followed us. He showed up at the subdivision we were pulled over at. Only the one in the undercover car witnessed anything and like I said it was dark out. He wouldn't have been able to see inside the vehicle.

LitoLawless

I don't think that he can pin that on you because you weren't the one that was driving. I think for the most part cops depend on people not really knowing their rights and just straight up panicking in situations such as that. You kept you're cool and it pissed him off.

Profit5500

If you are the passenger then you should not have been treated like that. He cannot tell you that you would be arrested for being the passenger in the car. If you were to possess narcotics that would be different. This cop is obviously one of those cops who thought that he can push his way through people with intimidation. Hopefully, this cop would get fired for doing something stupid.

blur92

The cop is extremely well known for bullying young people. He's never been fired, though. I know he's been on the force for a very long time. What disappointed me was that along with him there was about 3 or 4 other cops present. One of them worked at my high school. He was always friendly with the students yet professional. He seemed to genuinely care. However, that night he just held his head low while the other cop ranted. If the others knew he was wrong why would they not correct him? I suppose it had to do with rank. That doesn't justify it, though.

ThatGuyWithTheHat

You weren't driving, so there's no way it would've stuck. That doesn't mean they won't haul you down to the station. You can be arrested for anything, but convicted is a different story/

Owl

That's legitimately bizarre. Officers like that are so ridiculous sometimes--grow a thicker skin and don't accuse somebody of a crime just because they're annoying you. That's very unprofessional and scary that they think it's okay to act like that. I'm sure the charge wouldn't have stuck if you actually had to deal with it.

bala

Lolz there is no way you could be arrested for sitting in the driver's seat.Even the driver can't be arrested unless he is a serial offender.He was trying to make a fool of you and intimidate you.You could have scoffed at him and made him look funny for not knowing the rules.
You missed it..:p :p

Kamarsun1

That's a scare tactic, no you cannot be arrested for reckless driving if you where not driving, That doesn't make any sense to me, and I Wouldn't of answered any of his questions. You have to know your rights, If you don't know your right then you basically don't have any right's, because officers/ public servants violate our rights everyday. When are the people gonna wake up and smell the coffee.

blur92

That's a scare tactic, no you cannot be arrested for reckless driving if you where not driving, That doesn't make any sense to me, and I Wouldn't of answered any of his questions. You have to know your rights, If you don't know your right then you basically don't have any right's, because officers/ public servants violate our rights everyday. When are the people gonna wake up and smell the coffee.

I don't think all cops are like that. It is just him in particular. The majority of the force in my area seem alright. I'm guessing this other one is not fired because he's been in duty for too long. He's one of the oldest there. Perhaps it is similar to when professors have '10 year.'

bala

Not answering his questions invite more trouble.If i were there i would have answered a few and politely told him to refrain from asking any more questions.Sometimes it more than just depends on the police officer.

missbishi

There is no way you could have been charged with anything and I think this was probably just a chest-beating display! He clearly has delusions of grandeur and gets a kick out of lording it up over people. Like other posters say, he probably just got annoyed that you kept your cool. Take absolutely no notice of this guy!

ThatGuyWithTheHat

Sorry guys, but you can be arrested for it. That doesn't mean it'll stick.

Hell, you can be arrested for general jackassery, but that doesn't mean you'll serve time.