Photographing children doing crime

rubydust

Is it illegal to photograph children if they have committed a crime?

There's a group of school children (early teens) who keep vandalising things outside my home. I haven't reported it to the police yet, I am currently working with their school to try to put a stop to it.

The problem is, because they are all dressed identically in their school uniforms, it's very hard for me to give a good description. So I thought if I take a photograph of them, the school would be able to identify them, and then deal with it.

But I'm concerned that I might get in trouble for photographing the children without their consent.

RingoBerry

This is a bit tricky but IMO, you should approach a cop about your dilemma. If I were in your shoes, I would show them my proof just so they can see that I'm not making it up but at the same time not filing any complaints because they are kids, a short warning from cops might be enough. I just want them to be aware of the area where the kids are vandalizing and then perhaps they can go and see for themselves.

JoanMcWench

Are they consistently doing it around the same time? I would assume so if they're in school. I'd let the police know that before you went out taking pictures. If you need physical evidence why not set up a video camera? That way it doesn't look like you're trying to take pictures of children if it happens to catch said children committing crimes.

Rainman

There is no law against photographing children in public places. I don't know if that extends to photographing them when they're in private property. I would suggest installing a CCTV camera because the footage can be used as evidence. But then again that might or might not be legal. As the rest suggest, it's better to report the crime and let the police officers guide you through the steps which follow. Better [to be] be on the right side of the law.

edwardscoggins

І wоrk frееlаnсе fоr а sесоnd јоb. І сlаssіfу LЕОs (Lаw Еnfоrсеmеnt аnd Ѕесurіtу Guаrds) іntо fоur саtаgоrіеs whеn іt соmеs tо thеm hаsslіng mе аbоut tаkіng рhоtоs whеrе І аm lеgаllу еntіtlеd tо: Јоhn Lаws (thеу аsk а fеw quеstіоns, but lеаvе уоu аlоnе.. thеу knоw thе lаw); Guаrd Dоgs (Тhеу knоw thе lаw tоо.. but thіnk іf thеу bаrk еnоugh аt уоu, уоu'll stор оr lеаvе.. but wоn't thrеаtеn аrrеst); Ваrnеу Fіfеs (Јust Іnсоmреtіеnt аnd mіsіnfоrmеd.. thеу'll аrrеst уоu but gеt hаmmеrеd bу Ѕuреrіоrs whеn уоu mаkе а саsе оf іt), аnd fіnаllу "Вullіеs wіth а Ваdgе" (реорlе whо іn mу оріnіоn shоuld nеvеr hаvе thе bаdgе іn thе fіrst рlасе.. thеу'll brеаk thе lаw, аrrеst уоu, stасk оn frіvеlоus сhаrgеs, аnd hаrrаss уоu wіthоut mеrсу.. Yоu hаvе tо асtuаllу suе thе сіtу tо gеt thеm rаіnеd іn.). І'vе аlwауs gоt а bасkuр rесоrdеr оn mе tо сарturе thе соnfrоntаtіоn.. usuаllу shоwіng іt tо thе DА wіth а nоtе thаt іt's gоіng оn Yоutubе gеts thе сhаrgеs drорреd аnd аn ароlоgу.

Peninha

I am really no aware of legislation, but if someone is committing a crime I think that taking a picture as evidence has to be allowed, why wouldn't it?

missbishi

I think it would be wiser to ask the police. It doesn't seem like the school are doing much about it at all, so you may well have to escalate this. The police will be able to advise you of the best course of action to take. If you do install CCTV, I believe you are required to display a sign stating that the area is covered.

ally79

Get closed circuit cameras and record what is happening on YOUR property. There is absolutely no law against recording what is happening on your property and that tape can later be turned over to the police or the school, personally I would go with police, if you want it to stop and not escalate. It is highly unlikely that it is illegal to take pictures of people vandalizing your private property regardless of whether or not they are children.

Profit5500

Is it illegal to photograph children if they have committed a crime?

There's a group of school children (early teens) who keep vandalising things outside my home. I haven't reported it to the police yet, I am currently working with their school to try to put a stop to it.

The problem is, because they are all dressed identically in their school uniforms, it's very hard for me to give a good description. So I thought if I take a photograph of them, the school would be able to identify them, and then deal with it.

But I'm concerned that I might get in trouble for photographing the children without their consent.
It would vary on what that child was doing. If the child was going around and tagging walls then yeah they should be reported. Just do not become a perve and get registered as a sex offender.

rubydust

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

I have thought about putting up a cctv as suggested, but it's not within my budget at the moment. The other problem is, I'm not sure where I stand legally with that either, because I do not own any of the land outside my house. It is privately owned, but not by me.

I think you're right, I should really speak to the police for advice before I start taking pictures.

I have made some progress since my last post though. The school head teacher has been coming down at lunchtimes and standing outside my home. He did that for two consecutive days, and so far, it has prevented any further vandalism. I must admit, I was really pleased with the level of support from the school. They obviously take their reputation very seriously.

missbishi

That's good to hear @rubydust - hopefully this will be the end of the matter now. It seems clear that the teacher really does want to avoid any police involvement. LEt's hope the kids stay away for good.

KenBrace

Banned
I'm not sure. I wouldn't think there would be anything wrong with it but then again, I'm not a cop or a lawyer. I would at least get the photo. Then you can decided whether or not to show it. But at least you do have the evidence if it is needed.

JoanMcWench

Hey, that's great. I'm glad you have the support of the school on your side. It shows that they care about the community in connection with its students. I assume you're in the UK? Trying to get the same thing done here in the states with the public school system would be quite a feat.

rubydust

It's a very expensive private school. I think this helps because obviously they have to keep up a good reputation to attract parents to pay the fees to send their kids there.

We have a public high school close by too. I've never had any problems with the pupils from there. Just goes to show, money can't buy morals or decency!

goldenmaine

I think it would be great if you photograph them while doing crime. It will serve as evidence to those who did the vandalism and also help the school save time to reprimand those that have violated. Children nowadays are very hard-headed and trouble-makers and are smart enough to get away from their misdoings and find good excuses. Having this hard evidence against them will teach them a lesson about obeying rules and regulations of the school and at home.

ally79

I am glad that you are making progress Ruby, and you are right it probably doesn't hurt that the culprits are students of an expensive school. The people running the school certainly wouldn't want it to get out that little hooligans attend classes there! ;)

rubydust

I think it would be great if you photograph them while doing crime. It will serve as evidence to those who did the vandalism and also help the school save time to reprimand those that have violated. Children nowadays are very hard-headed and trouble-makers and are smart enough to get away from their misdoings and find good excuses. Having this hard evidence against them will teach them a lesson about obeying rules and regulations of the school and at home.

You're right. Kids get away with way too much nowadays. I think a big part of the problem is that adults (like myself in this situation) are afraid that they will be breaking the law or will get in trouble themselves when trying to stop the behaviour. And the kids know this.

For instance, I wondered what I could actually do if I physically caught them. I would be afraid to detain them until the police arrived, because I wouldn't want to touch them, in case I was accused of doing something wrong.

In days gone by, if children were misbehaving in public, it wouldn't be unusual for them to be reprimanded by a member of the community. There would be nothing unusual about an adult grabbing an unruly teen by the ear and marching them home to their parents! Try this now, and I dread to think what would happen.

Peninha

Yes, before taking pictures would be wise, at the same time we can lose the opportunity of recording the crime, so what's preferable?

kana_marie

Banned
They get photographed every time they walk into a store or restaurant without their consent. It may not be admissable in court, but I don't think it would be illegal. Since the scoop isn't held to the same standards as the court, I would go ahead and do it.