Police Academy training too short?

primalclaws1974

From different sources, I have gathered that police academy training is 8-12 weeks. It seems a little short to me, as the officer needs to be a very good driver, handle a weapon well, learn life-saving techniques, as well as how to subdue a person with as little damage to them as possible. I suppose one could compare this to boot camp, which is about the same length of training. I am sure the Army has additional training, do police officers have to re-train every so often?

LitoLawless

I think 8-12 weeks is actually pretty short as well. Although, if you are going everyday then it can feel a lot longer. As long as the academy feels as though the cops have learned everything that they have to, then I don't think it's up to anyone else to judge.

Gelsemium

I think that it's the right time, don't forget that once they are on the job they get a more experienced partner, so training continues for life.

Kamarsun1

8-12 weeks is a short time, but somethings you just can't train for. It's best to be in the field. experience is a better teacher for a job like a police officer, The academy only give the basics.

shilpa123

I do think polce academy training is too short as the police officers must be very well trained. I think the training is the key for becoming a perfect police officers. Hence, if the training is longer it will be much better. I also think one must be very careful while training the police officers.

Kamarsun1

I think there should be additional training as you go along. Especially physiological training, and mental evaluations for all officers of the law. It's important to have a stable mind in any job. I also think more Law classes should be added in as well. That's just my opinion.

shilpa123

I do not think the police academy training is too short. I think it is quite fine and I believe they can be a better judge than anyone else. I believe it is right as much as required.

mrsbright

It is too short. You guys are fooling yourself -- they might get good basic training, but it is really not enough. They have no idea how to deal correctly with homeless people and mental illness, for example. Trying to "train this on the field" is obviously not working and making things worse, and giving them bad press. I think we CAN as population also judge whether it's enough training or not -- after all, if it were any other profession, we would be inclined to do just that, be less trusting of a nurse or doctor or lawyer or vet or teacher who only got "minimum learning".

Like I mentioned in the other thread about academy time, in Germany, it's around 2 years and a half of police academy required. The people in charge of the program have repeatedly mentioned that would never be enough to incorporate all what needs to be taught. In what kind of world would three months cover it?

JulianWilliams

It does seem too short to me as well. I would prefer if the academy lasted 1-2 years or so. I mean, they are doing a very important job, under a lot of stress, and their job is to protect other people. They're also armed and have the right to use said arms, so I think they should be equipped with all the knowledge and training they need to do their job properly.

Shimus

Academy is short. Short enough where 8 months to a 1 year isn't enough to fully learn everything they need to. It should be treated like a four year college, I think.