Police asking you questions that are irrelevant?

RingoBerry

I do wonder about that show "COPS". I know that their episodes may not be entirely real but at the same time I do think some are but with edited scenes. The people in those episodes (which are partly real), isn't it a bad idea to have scenes like that recorded and aired without those people's permission? They MAY BE criminals (as depicted by the show) but they may also end up in situations where their lives or their family's lives are put in danger because the media exposed where they could be found. Maybe a disgruntled business associate or people looking to settle a score.

OMGnoWAY

They're trying to get you to admit to something, either a crime or at least that you are overly nervous, which could be an indicator that you have something to hide. I think it'd be fine to ask why they need to know that though. It's clearly none of their business.

jesuslover0314

I am unsure why they sometimes ask off topic questions, but for a rude reply like that... I have no clue what my reaction would be to that one.. I don't think it's very nice to say "You must drink everyday" to someone drinking? :p Anyway, my opinion doesn't matter.

JoanMcWench

I agree that the questions should be based on the issue. The problem is you cannot dictate the kind of questions they can ask. They are the authority and therefore there is nothing one can do but answer the questions as best as one can. I also felt very offended when I went to ask a question at the police station and they asked me questions that I thought were out of place.

I'd like to know specifically what kind of questions you thought were out of place? Sometimes we might not get why certain questions are relevant to a situation. However, don't get me wrong, I've had police officers ask me VERY inappropriate questions. Usually the men. In those instances I can get where you're coming from.

OGRICHBOI

It depend on the police officer that pull you over/arrests you. All of my interactions with cops are usually pleasant and reasonable. I suggest that you contact the police station if you ever have a bad experience.

RingoBerry

The question did sound a little off but maybe the one that called in to complain about the noise may have insinuated that it happens often - the noise I mean so he had to confirm it if its the drinking and the partying at your place is the source of the disturbance. At least that's how I can interpret it. Nevertheless, we don't have to answer every question asked by authorities. We have the right to demand and know why they are questioning. To keep everything that doesn't have anything to do with the reason why they came to see is - to ourselves.

shilpa123

Many a times police ask questions that are not relevant but that does not mean the question are irrelevant. Most of the questions are relevant and is quite useful in every way. I believe that it can be quite useful in some way or the other.

dyanmarie25

If you think you haven't done anything wrong, then answer police's questions as honestly as possible. It's really just part of their job, but sometimes, some police really do abuse their authority.

Rainman

Many a times police ask questions that are not relevant but that does not mean the question are irrelevant. Most of the questions are relevant and is quite useful in every way. I believe that it can be quite useful in some way or the other.
I agree. Maybe they could be trying to find out why and how you happened to have committed a civil infraction, etc. Not that it would make any difference if they ticket you or arrest you for committing a civil offense but it so happens at times that a police officer may choose not to issue you with a traffic ticket in "special cases." So I think, irrelevant though they may sound, one just should answer the questions asked.