Police Cars

vinceasneed

Is there criteria as to how police choose which car make and model to use? I used to see Crown Vics all the time used. In my area I see a lot of Dodge Chargers used. How do they determine who to use? Also are these cars equipped with special engines are tires? Or are they the same for everyone for the most part? I know some companies would not be considered. I could not see a police officer in Kia. But what makes them select some over others?

Shimus

I imagine each precinct and/or police department has their own protocol for selecting which brand of car they would choose overall, like a poll or voting ceremony of some sort. I do not know however since I'm not a cop, but this would be the most logical way at least to me. It's Dodge over here as well.

JoanMcWench

It really depends on what unit you work with. As far as I know, the Crown Vics (& to some extent the Chargers) were driven by narcotics officers. However, Crown Vics became synonymous with undercover work so it seemed the police department branched out. The other day I saw two large male officers in baseball caps & sports regalia with their bullet proof vests protruding in an Astro van. Made my day.

Profit5500

Is there criteria as to how police choose which car make and model to use? I used to see Crown Vics all the time used. In my area I see a lot of Dodge Chargers used. How do they determine who to use? Also are these cars equipped with special engines are tires? Or are they the same for everyone for the most part? I know some companies would not be considered. I could not see a police officer in Kia. But what makes them select some over others?
Hey what is wrong with the Crown Vic LOL? I feel that the budget would play a role in what cars and SUV's they get. Crown Victoria's are like the norm for the police departments which makes me wonder if they would like to consider changing the make of their cars.

Gelsemium

Cars need to be fast enough to catch criminals, but they have to be reliable as well. Ultimately it depends on the available budget... :)

Profit5500

I still see crown vics in my area most of the time. The Turlock police is considering some new cars for patrol units.