Police chief mistakes daughter, 16, for intruder and shoots her

wulfman

Police chief mistakenly shoots daughter who tries to sneak into house and then crashes his car while taking her to the hospital. Daughter is stable and has a bullet wound to her torso.

Profit5500

Dude what place did this happened at? That police chiefs daughter did something dumb by sneaking into the house and what ever time it was her father mistakenly shoots her? I feel that both are at fault the daughter if she was coming home late she should have spilled the beans and dealt with the punishment later. If the police chief had complete visual of his daughter then he should have recognized her right away.

stevesxs9

Sound's like she underestimated method of operation. Seems she didn't realize that his training is not limited to his patrol of the streets. But the same precaution is taken at home also. Its still very unfortunate that this happened.

wulfman

Dude what place did this happened at? That police chiefs daughter did something dumb by sneaking into the house and what ever time it was her father mistakenly shoots her? I feel that both are at fault the daughter if she was coming home late she should have spilled the beans and dealt with the punishment later. If the police chief had complete visual of his daughter then he should have recognized her right away.

It happened in Virginia. Here is a link Virginia deputy shoots teenage daughter after she sneaks back into home | WTVR.com

Trickster

Woah, what a terrible thing to happen. It's just a reminder why and how we should always think before doing. And that mistakes happen, no matter how prepared you are.

I'm glad that the girl is okay.

Kate

This is so very sad. :( I don't see anywhere that says it was a police chief, though.. it was a sheriff's deputy.

But in any case, I'd like to think that I would have known better as a teenager to be sneaking into my house knowing that my dad is trained about intruders. I do not blame the deputy in any way and I don't think he should have been put on administrative leave.

The intruder alarm went off at 3:45 a.m... I'm a parent, and the LAST thing I'd think was "gee, maybe my kid was out all night and is trying to sneak back in."

Ricardo187

Well, it's sad but it was his daughter's fault. Police chiefs are always at risk due to their daily job so it's hard to judge. The fact that he crashed his car while taking her to the hospital was unknown to me but well, his personal car didn't have sirens, probably and he still did an emergency drive, I guess?

GemmaRowlands

Things like this seem to be happening more and more often. I feel that this is what happens when people think with their guns instead of with their minds. There is no way that this poor girl should have been shot at before he was sure that she was an intruder. It's not as though it's somebody that shouldn't have been in the house. His first thought should not have been that it was an intruder, but that his daughter could be home, and then he should have checked before shooting.

milyjohnson

This really is sad. I don't blame the deputy for shooting her either. She shouldn't have snuck in the house. I'm sure she knew that the alarm would have gone off if she snuck in the house. What made her think her father wouldn't have thought she was an intruder? I'm glad she was seriously hurt. Maybe this will teach her from sneaking in late.

js85

This is just sad. It's human error and I'm sure nobody can feel as bad as the police chief does. I don't think there's any fingers to be pointed here.

Profit5500

Does anyone know of the updates to this case? The daughter would now know better then to sneak into her dad's house.

Determined2014

Knowing that her father is a cop and she still tries to sneak into the house, is just crazy, she knew she was risking, I do not blame the father at all he was on the right, jus taking precautions that anyone would take, it s a lesson to be learnt.

Profit5500

Knowing that her father is a cop and she still tries to sneak into the house, is just crazy, she knew she was risking, I do not blame the father at all he was on the right, jus taking precautions that anyone would take, it s a lesson to be learnt.
You are most definitely right the father being a officer himself knew he was in danger and dealt with the intruder like any other person. I just feel sorry him now he has to live with the fact that he shot his own daughter and she should not have broken into the house. If you know your father is a policeman by some sorts then you should have known better not to sneak in.

Rainman

What if he'd killed her? The officer being armed shouldn't have shot at the intruder without issuing a warning of some kind. You just shouldn't shoot someone just because you think that person might be dangerous. Aren't these the same people who shoot unarmed people because they think that person may have a concealed weapon or poses a danger to their lives? IMO, don't think such high-strung individuals should serve as cops.

Lexi

So the cop was scared and shot the young girl? I don't know how a cop could do that. First of all, he would have seen a small person and she didn't have a gun so, why was he in such shock that he had to shoot? I don't know about you but, I would not shoot if I saw a small person. If someone jumped out from the corner to scare me, I can quickly judge how big they are. For a cop to immediately shoot a young girl is pathetic.

But, I was not there so, I don't know the situation entirely. It just sounds like it should have been avoided.

jeremy2

Human is to error and we should not be quick to condemn the officer as that incident could have happened to anybody.Here is a police chief with a proven track record making a grave mistake in the course of his duty.I can only imagine the kind of trauma he went through and i just pray that everything turns out fine.

wahmed

God I can only imagine the pain he must be going through. Seeing your child hurt is really painful but knowing you cause that hurt is tremendously agonizing. The stress he must be under and the heart wrenching pain. No wonder he crashed his car.

thegrey1

I think sometimes if you "check before shooting," you're dead. Can you imagine how this father must have felt? I would be completely freaked out if this happened to me! The father was absolutely not at fault here. He did exactly what he was trained to do, which was to protect. This girl's rebellion almost caused her to lose her life. I hope she realizes it!