Police Departments Hiring Immigrants As Police Officers

Rainman

As was noted by another member, fewer and fewer people are joining the police force these days. The solution to the that? Immigrants are now being hired as police officers.

Most agencies in the country require officers or deputies to be U.S. citizens, but some are allowing immigrants who are legally in the country to wear the badge. From Hawaii to Vermont, agencies are allowing green-card holders and legal immigrants with work permits to join their ranks.

Police departments hiring immigrants as officers

This apparently is also aimed at connecting the police with the diverse populations they serve. This is great IMO. A more diverse police force is good for everyone.

Some people don't like it though.

"We're handing over a gun and a badge to somebody whose background we don't really know a lot about

Gabe

There are dangers in this, however in Vermont many people pop over from Canada and it is a state that isn't highly populated. Most green card holders are on their way to become citizens, most just don't want to renounce their passport and have the best of both worlds. If they made the police look more attractive like the army maybe people would join, but it's a dangerous job. People want to be internet businesses or be on X-Factor and not really want to be a cop.

I'd have to say I have a big problem with this, if they are hiring illegals. Now, a legal immigrant has every right to be a police officer, as long as they have attained citizenship, and can pass the same level of stringency in a background check like anyone else would have too.

missbishi

I'd have to say I have a big problem with this, if they are hiring illegals. Now, a legal immigrant has every right to be a police officer, as long as they have attained citizenship, and can pass the same level of stringency in a background check like anyone else would have too.

I really don't think there's any danger of them hiring illegal immigrants. After all, they'd be rigorously checked on application. I feel sure that nobody without the right to work in this country and a clear background check would be hired.

hellonamesdan

I don't think that there's a problem with an immigrant becoming a police officer as long as they were a legal immigrant. If they were not legal then they have no right to even be in this country, let alone defending it from harm. If they're able to pass the citizenship test, the police officers exams, and if they're able to effectively communicate with people, then what's the problem?

JoanMcWench

Yes, as was mentioned why are they not becoming citizens? Wouldn't it put them on the rush list that they're serving a country not originally their own? I don't have an issue with this & I can see it as eventually being helpful but it has to be done the right way.