Police Driving

vinceasneed

I have always wondered this. Sometimes we police cars with their lights on and they go through a red light. Then after they pass the light, they turn their lights off and go back to regular speed. I've always assumed that they were going to a non life threatening emergency. But many people feel that they are just using their lights to get around the traffic light. I have been skeptical of that. However, does anyone know if some police officers do that? Are there regulations against them doing that? I would assume there is but like in any professions, people will break rules. Any insight?

Jd252

Well while the is a very simple question the same answer doesn't apply to anyone. I was personally with a Police Officer that did this while going to a call and he mentioned that people who don't really know what's going on will think that he's doing the exact same thing you described. I use to have the same thought as well but I think in general it's only used to get to calls that require a heightened level of response but not enough to use the lights and sirens the whole time. Sure you have some people that most likely break those rules and I would assume there are internal regulations against this but in this case nobody ever really bothers to bring it up to their agency directly.

LitoLawless

I know for a fact that they are not always going to an emergency. I seen many ambulance trucks do this way back in the day when they wanted to get to Wendy's in a hurry. I'm not saying that there aren't emergencies here and there, but they aren't exactly ALWAYS going to one.

Peninha

Sometimes the police drives in a really strange way even when they don't have the sirens, so it's not the best example and needs to be reviewed, that is for sure.

DancingLady

THat sounds very unethical. If they are responding to an emergency situation, then of course time is more important than the traffic light if it is safe to go through the intersection at that time, but to do it just to do it sounds very power trip like.

Kittyworker

I know for a fact that they are not always going to an emergency. I seen many ambulance trucks do this way back in the day when they wanted to get to Wendy's in a hurry. I'm not saying that there aren't emergencies here and there, but they aren't exactly ALWAYS going to one.

It varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction but most Police car sirens have a recording of when they have been activated and deactivated. In the county my Aunt was a cop in every time they used the siren they had to make note of it later in their shift. I doubt these records were every really reviewed unless there were multiple complaints about a cop abusing the siren.

Muthoni

Sometimes people will get advantage because of their work. A police officer will not line up in the bank or at the ATM when they are wearing their uniform. I guess that it should be allowed for them to take advantage of the siren because they have a difficult job as it is. It comes with the territory.

missbishi

I wonder about this too! When I see a police car going past really fast, I always think they must be late for their lunch break! I'm sure this is not usually the case, but there is no smoke without fire and the rumors must have come from somewhere!

primalclaws1974

Sure, it is possible they did it so they didn't have to wait. I have seen police run red lights, but not slow down right after. I have seen, however, police passing me doing 10-15 mph over the speed limit, without lights on, and not slow down again. They walk away from me, while I am doing the speed limit. I have seen this in places all over the country.