Police Union Plans To Fight Suspension

Onthemark

attachment.php

A Seattle police officer was suspended after department officials reviewed her dash cam video from October 2013. Officials say Officer Jennifer Hunt had been punished with suspension and without pay after a patrol car video captured her using the demeaning term and threatening to shoot 32-year-old Kimo Warren during an Oct. 7, 2013 incident.

Officer Jennifer Hunt, who was chasing Warren for an alleged domestic violence incident, is heard yelling from behind the wheel of her vehicle: "are going to get your ass shot, boy."

"I expressed deep concern about her word choice," stated Sgt. George Davisson. "I explained that regardless how she intended the comment to be taken or what she meant to say, this comment would undoubtedly be viewed in a negative context with police chasing a black male in the streets of Seattle."

Union officials believe the punishment was too excessive and they plan to fight the suspension. "I believe that she actually was trying to communicate with a fleeing suspect that she thought was much younger than her," said Ron Smith of the Seattle Police Officers Guild.
Authorities in Seattle released the dash cam video Monday after a public disclosure request and "in the interests of fostering better police transparency".

Police say Hunt has expressed disappointment for the choice of words she used towards the suspect. According to authorities, the suspect, Kimo Warren has not yet complained about the incident.

"The department is committed to constitutional and equitable policing for all of Seattle's residents," the department stated.

Attachments

• SeattlePolice.jpg
    SeattlePolice.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 1,299
Last edited by a moderator: