Preparing for pepper spray

Shawn

You could pepper spray yourself so that you know how it feels. That is what I did. I had someone be there with me as well in case anything at all went wrong. It hurt, it hurt a lot but I knew what to expect. Make sure you are not getting sprayed when you are sick or have sinus problems that day or it will only make matters a lot worse.

When my dad was training with the Department of Corrections, he said he had to run through a chamber full of tear gas. That sounds like it would of been a lot worse that a little bit of pepper spray under the nose!

Vivat

When my dad was training with the Department of Corrections, he said he had to run through a chamber full of tear gas. That sounds like it would of been a lot worse that a little bit of pepper spray under the nose!

A chamber FULL of tear gas? How the hell is anyone supposed to be able to do that proper? That's INSANE!

Profit5500

A chamber FULL of tear gas? How the hell is anyone supposed to be able to do that proper? That's INSANE!
My dad had to run through a chamber full of tear gas when he was in the Air Force. Its possible you just have to have some great endurance. Othewise you might as well thrown in the towel.

PhilA

I have seen officers take some pepper spray in the face, I have never done it though. It does not look pleasant at all, let us know how it goes it you take some.

askanison

I do not envy any of the feelings you are going to feel and the pain you will be feeling during and after. You are a stronger man than me.

JoanMcWench

I have to say I agree with Shawn. Testing it first, at home, in a controlled environment might give you a leg up on the competition and put some of your fears to rest. I would prefer my first time not be in front of potential colleagues. I would rather know what to expect beforehand.

Profit5500

Why would you do something to even get pepper sprayed by someone ?
The police academy test new recruits by having them handle the effects of pepper spray. So if someone gets a hold of your pepper spray and sprays you the effects would not be as bothersome since you would have built a resistance to the spray. I believe the military does the exact same thing to the recruits.

Ricardo187

I say test it out first at home, following the tips given up there. If you do it before, you'll not only have more resistance to the spray, you'll also know what to expect and the best way to control your feelings at the moment. After all it's understandable why they do it. You have to know how hard your weapons are and what damage they cause.

KrustyKrabella

I actually think this is probably the best way to prepare yourself. Then you know absolutely what to expect, and you'll have some idea on how you react as an individual. Plus, you'll have first hand experience on how to make it better for yourself afterwards.

It's what I would do if I had to!

Whitewolf2578

I once knew a guy who was immune to the stuff. He could spray it on his eyes and in his mouth all day long, I have no idea how he prepared for it. I believe it is like preparing for the teaser, you just have to gain the tolerance for the pain and know what to do when it happens.

GemmaRowlands

There really is nothing that you can do to dull the pain, because you already know that it's going to happen, and that there's nothing that you can do about it. But you should find that the determination of passing the test is enough to see you through. You will be expecting the pain, keep a positive mental attitude, and keep telling yourself that you WILL get through this. Keep blinking as much as possible, because the more tears your eyes produce, the faster the stuff is going to make its way back out of there.