Prison Bus Crashes And Hits Train, 10 Killed

Onthemark

attachment.php

A bus transporting prisoners from Abilene to El Paso ran off an icy highway overpass on Interstate 20 and struck a moving train Wednesday morning, killing 10 people just outside of Odessa.

According to the Texas Department of Criminal Justice, eight prisoners and two correctional officers were killed. Five people were transported to Medical Center Hospital in Odessa. Four of the people were in critical condition and one was in serous condition.

“I am deeply saddened by the news that two correctional guards died, along with eight inmates, in connection with a tragic accident in West Texas on Interstate 20 early this morning, stated Lieutenant Governor-elect Dan Patrick. "I extend my sincere sympathies to the families of the correctional officers involved."

"Their dedication and service to the State of Texas will be missed and my prayers also go out to the entire staff of TDCJ and the offenders' families for their loss, added Governor-elect Dan Patrick. "I also pray for a speedy recovery of a third correctional staff member and four offenders who were transported with injuries."

The train came to a stop shortly after being hit. Officials say there were only two employees on the train, neither one were injured. We’ll have more details when they become available.

[video=youtube_share;Jt8GWm7Y7bg]http://youtu.be/Jt8GWm7Y7bg[/video]

Attachments

• prisonbus.jpg
    prisonbus.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 1,212
Last edited by a moderator: