Question About Academy Requirments

alm0493

If you were arrested for under the influence of a controlled substance when you were 19 years old can you still join the force? Does it depend of the substance? I am interested in joining but made that mistake a few years ago...

Rocky55119

Probably would depend on if you're clean now. I know alot of Police Departments are super enthuisatic for helping people get off substance abuses and what-not, so I am guessing if you are clean it's better for them, you could help make commercials and you would also understand what other people have gone through. If I was a police department for the academy, as long as you were clean, I would bring you in.

pandabear1991

I would have to say that all counties have different guidelines to follow. I recently talked to a State Trooper, questioning him the process because my husband has put alot of thought into Police Academy, and he told me that their applications are submitted electronically, states can no longer hire the "old boy way." But he didn't mention that State Law Enforcement is harder to get into with a fresh conviction. He didn't comment much on county/city hires, but judging from the people who are officers, I would have to say they are much more lenient as far as convictions/criminal history. I could be wrong and this very well could differ, state by state.

ally79

I think a lot of it would depend on how old you are now. Was this incident two years ago or five years ago? If they can see that you have stayed out of trouble since then and a few years have passed there are still many agencies that would be happy to have you.

Gabe

It does vary state by state and it also depends on what the outcome of the arrest and whether you have a record now. You can only ask because you can answer the questions they will ask you such as how long had you used the drug, did you ever deal and when was the last time you used any drugs. It may be worth trying to do some community police work too see whether it suits you.

Gelsemium

My nephew was just refused by the police because he was underweight, so this just confirms what I say, the physicals are always more difficult. I do wonder if there is a limit for overweight too!

Profit5500

I think a lot of it would depend on how old you are now. Was this incident two years ago or five years ago? If they can see that you have stayed out of trouble since then and a few years have passed there are still many agencies that would be happy to have you.
They go more for people who are clean with no criminal history. Though they can still hire you as long as you are not a felon. I have heard that some police departments do hire felons.

shilpa123

It all depends on how clean you are now. Everybody makes a mistake now and then but I do not think there is any way of thinking about it and not getting selected. It all depends on how well you perform now.