Question About Pepper Spray

If a stranger comes to your house, is it legal to use Pepper Spray on them? Can you warn him to leave and if he doesn't go, are you allowed to spray him?

Sweetheart

Isn't that a good question? I don't know if you are still on this site. Each state is different but you need to familiarize yourself with the state you are in. Most states require you to register the pepper spray. This is incase you get sued for using it. You can certainly use pepper spray on your own property to protect yourself. They will need assistance after you use it on them. Paramedic or something like this to wash their eyes out. You will be obviously calling the police for the intruder.

LitoLawless

Honestly, if they were breaking in to my house then I wouldn't even warn them before pepper spraying them. I think they pretty much lose that right once they break into your house. If you have someone in your house that is making you a bit uncomfortable then I think that you should probably warn them before you pepper spray them.

DancingLady

I don't think you need to warn someone who is committing a home invasion. In fact, you probably shouldn't because that would give them potential opportunity to harm you first. Pepper spray is non lethal, so I don't think you a person using it against someone who has broken into their home is going to be in any trouble.

Rocky55119

I believe as long as you are in a life threatening situation and the intruder has deadly weapons you are free to do so.

Home Invasion is a serious offense and I am pretty sure as soon as they get in to your house by trespassing you are free to just spray the bottle empty.

However I am not sure, but if you put a "No Trespassing" sign on your front door and they break in, you are free to pepper spray, because they are trespassing and that sign is a well enough warning.

bala

Unless your security is under threat or if he tries to mis behave or whatever,unless there are circumstances that hinder your security it is illegal to use pepper spray on someone.

I am curious now as to what the answer is regarding someone breaking into your home, in NY you can not just spray someone because you feel they are a threat or because you are scared. They have to actually be using physical force before you can spray them in defense. Pepper spray can only (legally) be bought in NY if you are 18 and older, through a licensed firearm dealer or licensed pharmacists and you have to sign a form stating you have no felony's or convictions.