Red Cross warns of looming blood shortage

askanison

The Red cross reported today a looming crisis and a shortage of blood on the horizon. I give regularly because i know that the blood is also used for various treatments such as chemo for cancer patients. It takes less than 15 minutes to donate, 35 if you donate platelets. I encourage anyone who can to please help and donate today.

Gelsemium

Yeah, it's really simple to donate and it can save many lives, it has saved mine when I was 7, if it wasn't for the blood transfusions I've received I'd be dead now.

ic3squid

Yeah, you guys should really donate. A friend of mine received blood donations when he got into a horrendous accident (wasn't his fault) and he needed blood, luckily there was blood available and he lived to see another day.

bala

About 80000 fewer donations than expected..is it out of the ordinary,or does it normally fall during summer..?
If people can pitch in and donate blood,it will be a matter of days before the shortfall is met.To anyone reading this post and in the US,kindly Donate :D

Determined2014

Yes we need to donate blood, we do not know when we ourselves will need that same blood, though there are some places that reward their donors, for some reason they always have a high turnout, though we should be looking for rewards other than donate willingly.

Muthoni

There was a time I used to give blood; I have a donor card. I must admit that I have become lazy because there are usually tents set up in towns where people can give blood easily. The next time I give, I will make sure to go with a friend because I almost fainted because I had not eaten before donating blood.

helaofthenorns

I feel guilty because I haven't given blood ever. I know that this tends to be unhealthy and irresponsible. It's just that I am terrified of needles, and I am hemaphobic. :(

shreklock

They need to advertise it more, many people don't know where to go to donate blood. I try to donate blood whenever I can, it's easy to do and it saves lives.

js85

Wow, it wasn't that long ago that I read an article that said the Red Cross had enough blood and some of it was actually going to waste. Not that they were discouraging donations, but just 'slow down'. My dad is a cancer patient, I will ask next treatment what I can do to give blood.