Robotic camera's and drones... does your department use them?

I have heard a lot of buzz about law enforcement using robotic cameras and drones to be "eyes" where it may be hard for police to see and still be relatively safe. I was just interested if anyone has had experience with using devices like this and has it be a help or hindrance. I'm sure the cost is pretty steep as well. Can't wait to hear feedback!

JoanMcWench

I can see it becoming a thing but much much later down the line. They're having a hard enough time as it is implementing body cameras which shouldn't be all that difficult honestly. I can only imagine how many crashed/knocked out of the sky drones will be all over the city coming out of my tax money.

Ha! You have a good point there. I didn't think about tax payers having to foo the bill for those things, they can come with a hefty price tag. Perhaps the can be used for special situations like hostage situations and riots. Or maybe it just wishful thinking on my part. (I just get excited when I learn of any kind of technology that can help reduce the amount of time that our men and women of the force have to spend in harms way.

Philosophydaddy

From what I understand the military has been using drones in EOD for a while now. That is at least one military grade piece of hardware I wouldn't mind departments getting a hold of. It makes things a lot safer with much less risk to human life for bomb threats. Once the potential bomb is located, send in the drone to try and dismantle and disarm it. If the bomb is booby trapped and goes off, no one dies. There is still property and structural damage but at least there is no loss of life.

lushlala

This sort of advanced and sophisticated technology is a long way off being implemented in Botswana. I guess the level of crime also doesn't really warrant it, especially as I can imagine the cost being exceedingly steep. -and who pays for it? The tax payer. It may be required in the US though, given the level of crime, including terrorism.

Diane Lane

I always see the fiber optic cameras being used in television shows, the ones they slide under doors, into AC vents, etc., so they can see into the room where someone's being held hostage, or where the bad guys are holed up. I think it's important to use devices such as that in dangerous circumstances, to improve the chances of saving lives. Often, equipment such as that comes out of the Asset Forfeiture Fund, which is separate from taxpayer funds. I think drones and other robotic equipment could be useful in these situations, as well as when there's a danger of explosives present. I am always concerned about our rights being violated, but public and first responder safety must also be taken into consideration.