Should All Cops Learn Martial Arts?

Rainman

Not just basic self-defense. A police officer who can defend himself without having to use a weapon unless it's called for, can be of great value especially when responding to an issue relating to domestic violence. You want to restrain someone, not shoot or taser them then asking questions later. What do you think? Should learning something like judo be mandatory for all cops?

joshua minaya

Personally i feel that if all cops where to learn martial arts it would really help them a great deal because this way they will be better fit to perform their daily task and to fight crime in a more efficient manner.

GemmaRowlands

I believe that all police officers should be taught self defence at the very least, and I am fairly certain that this is included in the majority of training that they receive before signing up to the force.

When it comes to martial arts, I'm not sure whether I would say it was essential - because time and money is an issue during training - but if there is any way that they could learn it without it impacting on their time to do other things then it can certainly do no harm. I learned at school, and I find that it makes me feel a lot safer going around the streets, knowing that I would definitely be able to stand up for myself if I needed to. I am sure that there are a lot of other people who could get the same comfort from it.

bala

Great idea,but The officials too would have got this thought and if they haven't made it mandatory,they must have done so for a reason.Also don't cops love taking down a person,i mean,give me a reasonable example where a cop actually acted acc to rules or as you say,just restraining someone's movements.
They absolutely love tasering and taking him down,and then questioning.

Rahstyles

I think they should be taught some form of martial arts to enable them to deal with people without the need to use a firearm to stop them

Determined2014

That is very true, if a police officer can defend himelf withoutthe help of a gun then that would be real nice also if they can disarm someone without using a gun , it would be very owesome.

DancingLady

I think it is a good idea, especially for them to learn the martial art that is about neutralizing a threat rather than responding back with force. I can't remember what it is called now, but I think that might help a lot with situations where they have to arrest someone who is combative. Better to just neutralize their attacks than end up seriously harming them.

januz101

Police are doctrined to have maximum tolerance and to only use a gun when there is imminent danger to oneself and civilians around him. So as a alternative protection, police are taught in the training school hand to hand combat and disarming techniques to nullify threats. And that is just the basic.

shreklock

This is a great idea, but I think it would cost too much money for the government and it'll hardly happen.

cc1001

I do not think it should be mandatory. I can see the benefit with everything a police officer has to deal with. The thing is I believe the officers are given all the necessary training they need so the martial arts training could be something extra. I can't see where a police officer would really have to use martial arts under a normal circumstance.

Patrick

I do not think it should be mandatory. I can see the benefit with everything a police officer has to deal with. The thing is I believe the officers are given all the necessary training they need so the martial arts training could be something extra. I can't see where a police officer would really have to use martial arts under a normal circumstance.

Police may not always have firearms at the ready, so being proficient in close combat might mean the difference between life and death, not just their own but those of other innocent bystanders as well.

With all the concerns over the level of fitness of police officers, I feel that martial arts training may also help them stay in shape.

soconfused

Even cops deserve the best when it comes to defending themselves, it would be tough to execute, nevertheless good thought, id love to have kung fu cops around :)

sillylucy

I think that they could benefit from some of the techniques to help keep them calm and in the zone. I would be so afraid of these martial arts masters. It would really be hard to enforce what techniques are acceptable, wouldn't it?

Patrick

I think that they could benefit from some of the techniques to help keep them calm and in the zone. I would be so afraid of these martial arts masters. It would really be hard to enforce what techniques are acceptable, wouldn't it?

Yeah, for a police officer to be proficient at close combat they should learn more than basic self-defense moves, they may learn some techniques intended to kill or maim, which are banned even in MMA tournaments. I would definitely be wary of such an individual.

Yes!

It can be a matter of life or death if the perpetual SHTF.

Not just learn, but practice frequently. This applies to all police that are out in the field as part of their job. However injuries due happen and if a police officer can no longer physically defend him/herself I do believe there is some room admin/desk Sergeant. After all most of the higher positions are administrative and in a safe office environment.

My point is the officers who are on the streets on a day to day basis need to be taught how to defend themselves.

dolittle94

Not just basic self-defense. A police officer who can defend himself without having to use a weapon unless it's called for, can be of great value especially when responding to an issue relating to domestic violence. You want to restrain someone, not shoot or taser them then asking questions later. What do you think? Should learning something like judo be mandatory for all cops?
I'm not going to suggest that it should be a requirement or anything, but it would definitely be an awesome skill set that would definitely come in handy. I actually think about stuff like that half the time. When I see movies, I'm usually like, "There's is no cop in America that can do any of that." Of course, that's an exaggeration and I am sure there are cops in the work force that can do a little something that is out of the norm in an amazing way; I just don't ever see it. It's kind of like when I watch football sometimes and I'll be thinking, "if that guy could have just pulled off a back handspring, then he might have made that touchdown."

LongShot

I agree that they should learn to some degree. Though, most of the police officers we have a literally overweight. Telling them that they now have to work out might just lead to more of a revolt from our "Officers of the law".

dolittle94

I agree that they should learn to some degree. Though, most of the police officers we have a literally overweight. Telling them that they now have to work out might just lead to more of a revolt from our "Officers of the law".
Even so, there really isn't a reason for them to angry about it. It only would make their jobs easier for them if they were in the proper shape and form. Although, if it were to be made mandatory I would think that mainly officers on the field would require a full training course, but office cops should have a minimum amount of training at the very least. That being if this kind of training were to suddenly become a requirement, but I don't see that happening anytime in the near future.

primalclaws1974

The "super cop" image is a Hollywood fantasy. All officers learn basic self-defense and how to take down and restrain a perpetrator with minimal injury to themselves and the other person. I believe that the added expense to train all officers in martial arts would be a waste of money in most areas, because they would never use it.