Sniper kills man firing a gun at police chopper

Onthemark

attachment.php

According to authorities, an ADP sniper killed the man who fired at the police chopper over the weekend.

Police have identified 27-year-old Sawyer Flache as the man who allegedly fired multiple rounds at the streetlights and the police helicopter.

Austin Police Chief Art Acevedo said the officers responded to a 911 call around 10:30 p.m. Saturday. The caller said a man was walking around a South Austin neighborhood with guns and shooting at streetlights.

"A caller advised the subject was sitting in the street with a rifle in his lap," said Acevedo. "The caller also advised 911 dispatch that the subject was armed with multiple weapons."

As the police chopper flew overhead to check out the situation, the man allegedly started firing at the chopper. Police say while Flache continued firing at the police chopper, the sniper shot and killed him.

Authorities say the pilot and the tactical officer on the helicopter were uninjured, but several shots hit the blades on the chopper.

Attachments

• chopperincident.jpg
    chopperincident.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 2,807
Last edited by a moderator:

donnalynn47

That is so sad what a waste of life he was only 27 years old. From the report he had been arrested in the past on drug charges. This may have played a role in this terrible incident as well. At least no one else was hurt.

westmixxin

I wonder what could a provoked him to have that sort of behavior makes absolutely no sense to fire the police chopper especially if it was high up there was no way he was going to reach.

Onionman

Who knows what caused this guy to act so extremely. But you can't got shooting at police helicopters and expect not to face recriminations. Thankfully there was no additional loss of life.

mairj23

Another sad case of stupidity in our society. Why would you be firing at a helicopter, much less anyone? People to day are so crazy and seem to not think before doing things. The police had the right to fire back and everything seems to be justified.

This looks like a case of "suicide by cop". There is no way that anyone in even half their rational mind could have thought they'd walk away from this behavior alive. I feel terrible for his parents, though.

Strykstar

Drugs were probably involved in this, no one in their right mind would just fire at the Police like that, a sad ending to a still young life unfortunately.

I wonder what was his reasoning to doing that. Good thing they took him out before he could have seriously hurt someone. He might have been delusional or had a mental problem. Condolences to the family of Mr. Flace.

SF13

There have been several suicide by cop incidents of late. Sadly, most of the people who try it do end up getting their wish. Given the fact that the guy used a rifle, I have to think that he could have aimed better if he really wanted to try to take down the helicopter. So, I doubt he wanted to do more than get the cops to shoot at him.

katherine25

Clearly this guy had psychological problems. No one in their right mind would shoot at a helicopter especially a police helicopter. Tragic loss of life.

Gabe

What a mad story with a tragic ending. Again we can blame the gun laws and how flexible they are and the gun culture. Too many people have the skills and access to guns when they are not fit. It's not hard to get hold of one and also people develop issues later in life which these skills can then be deadly.