Starting Pay

vinceasneed

On average, how does a police officer make per month after taxes? Most websites will give you a number before taxes. I am curious as to how much they make after taxes on a monthly basis. When I was growing up I was told that they don't make a lot and it discouraged me from going into it. But then I found my passion which was teaching. I had heard that teachers don't get paid much. I agree with that but if you start off right its not that bad of pay. So I wonder if police officer is the same.

Rosyrain

It really depends on where you go to work and what you do as an officer. If you work in a big city presinct, you are going to get paid much more than you would if you were a small town cop. I do know that they get paid pretty well for the local economy and there are plenty of occassions for overtime and comp time pay.

ally79

Officers around here bring home about $1,500 a month which is not nearly enough for what they do. Men and women certainly don't become police officers for the money around here!

Shimus

I agree with it's not enough. I know an average salary for a cop around here is like 54,000 after taxes. There are many people who make a lot more than that and they're not even asked to put their lives on the daily. That's what I feel is wrong with this world.

sokolskik

I know plenty of guys who are making over $100,000 after taxes with over time. These guys are small town cops, not city or college campus. I have heard that guys in the city and more urban areas even get paid less than the small town cops. This is of course just word of mouth, but still valid.

OGRICHBOI

As a citizen, I feel like officers should get paid more. Just my own opinion. But it all boils down to where you work and how many years you've been working. If you live in an area with a large population, you obviously get paid more. However, I still believe that officers need a better wage for the work they are doing.

pandabear1991

I have been told many different figures. A recent State Trooper in the state I live in now mentioned at least $40xxx. City officers in my home town, $35xxx. My Husband's Step-Dad (when his Step-Dad's Mom was the Mayor) as Sheriff, $120,000. I think it really depends on where you live, and also who signs your paycheck.

JoanMcWench

It also has to do with your negotiating skills. Like with any job you're paid according to what you are bringing to said job. So, if you have a higher level of skills established in police academy & you negotiate accordingly I imagine you'll get a higher salary than an officer that may not have shown the same level of skill.

dyanmarie25

As a citizen, I feel like officers should get paid more. Just my own opinion. But it all boils down to where you work and how many years you've been working. If you live in an area with a large population, you obviously get paid more. However, I still believe that officers need a better wage for the work they are doing.

I agree. Police offices lives' are always in some sort of danger due to their job description, so they need to be a bit compensated for all their efforts.

Profit5500

Basically, years of experience and education are what determines how much a cop gets paid. I heard cops who live in the state of New Jersey can make an average of $75,000 a year. I do not know what the cost of living is in New Jersey, but that is what I researched about with how cops there make.

marcamm

I agree that cops should get more than they deserve. Cops are always on the run and risking their lives for the welfare of our society. A little incentive here and there would be very helpful for them. In the Philippines, there is a proposal to increase the salaries of government workers including the police and even the President. This is was proposed to serve as an anti-corruption move. I think they petitioned the increase to be around 20-25%, which isn't bad. I hope it gets approved, cops generally are decent guys, despite the bad connotation of them.

Gelsemium

Police officers risk their lives on a daily basis, so they will always be underpaid, but even so better wages would show the recognition that society has for them, it's more than deserved.

ABC123

I think it makes sense that depending on where the officer obtains work would dictate how much they would make. They such receive a respectable compensation for what they do. I do not know what they make though. I think that officers should receive bonuses and other perks for the job they.

Gelsemium

I am assuming that they have risk insurance because it's a really dangerous profession, but at the same time I don't think that's reflected in money, just as an insurance.

Ispanico

It's amazing to see the difference between US salaries and Argentinean or Danish salaries. Buenos Aires, Argentina, where I come from, gives an 800 dollar salary per month, which is extremely low even for Argentinean standards.
When contrasting that with the salary a police officer earns here in Denmark, where I'm currently living, it's a huge difference: 3500 dollars per month.

I guess the moral of the story is if you want to be a police officer, move to Denmark!

ABC123

I wonder if it depends on how important the society thinks the position is for the benefit of the town, city, state, country, or whatever area that is using police protection. As well as how the funding is provided of the salary.

wahmed

I think that whatever the pay is, is way too little for an honest cop. They work hard and tirelessly to support and protect our community. Anyway the amount a cop earns varies from ranks to departments and to areas. In New York a rookie earn s$41,975 per year.