Stop charging child rape victims.

Lucy

Why do you charge child rape victims with prostitution? They are being trafficked and sold by adults. Do you care about that? No! You just take the rape victims, torture them, throw them in jail, and then ruin their whole life by giving them a record.

What part of you thinks that this is okay???

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Can you point out some case where this is happening? I am not questioning what you are saying, I just have not heard about them being charged with prostitution.

JoanMcWench

Is it possible you're referring to prostitutes that are underage & THEN charged with prostitution? You came in pretty hot with this question. Is there some back story here we don't know about?

dyanmarie25

I haven't heard of police charging underage people of prostitution. I think they go to recovery centers, not to jails. Only the pimps get prosecuted, as far as I know.

Rainman

I've heard stories about police officers rescuing sex slaves from illegal bordellos and homes where they're being held. None of those who were rescued were prosecuted because they had been forced to be prostitutes. Police officers are not as "savage" as most people assume they are.

Police: Girls used as sex slaves rescued in SWAT standoff | www.wsbtv.com
Two young girls were rescued from an apartment in DeKalb County overnight after police say they were used as sex slaves.
Sex slaves are rescued. Not arrested.

Gabe

I've not heard of cases where minors are charged especially when they are victims. If anything they are put into protective custody so they will testify against the pimps, but as many are brainwashed and scared they are usually held, but not as criminals. Even adults that have been prostitutes do plea bargains for testifying against pimps, because the police know they need the evidence and locking them up doesn't help them move on with their lives.

Lucy

I've heard stories about police officers rescuing sex slaves from illegal bordellos and homes where they're being held. None of those who were rescued were prosecuted because they had been forced to be prostitutes. Police officers are not as "savage" as most people assume they are.

Sex slaves are rescued. Not arrested.

Not in all cases. You list one case where they are rescued and assume all rape victims have the same. You are in so much denial about our country it is sickening.

Lucy

Is it possible you're referring to prostitutes that are underage & THEN charged with prostitution? You came in pretty hot with this question. Is there some back story here we don't know about?
Yes there are several back stories. And yes that's what I am referring too. They are not even at the age of consent and they are being charged.

OMGnoWAY

I think he's talking about people that became prostitutes when underage, but then they are arrested once they are over 18. He's saying you're treating it like it was their decision, when in reality it's either all they've ever known or they don't know where to go to get protection from their pimp/gangs/mafia that will take them seriously and not try to arrest them. The average age to get into prostitution in the US is 13. The AVERAGE age is 13. So I think he raises a valid point that these people are victims.

Lucy

Anyway, for those of you who are not in denial and would like to help, the covenant house has a petition. We are trying to get several bills passed, one of which will prevent authorities from being allowed to prosecute victims.

I tried to post the link to the petition but this site won't let me post links yet. But I strongly encourage anyone with a heart to go to the covenant house website and sign the 13 bills petition.

Lucy

I think he's talking about people that became prostitutes when underage, but then they are arrested once they are over 18. He's saying you're treating it like it was their decision, when in reality it's either all they've ever known or they don't know where to go to get protection from their pimp/gangs/mafia that will take them seriously and not try to arrest them. The average age to get into prostitution in the US is 13. The AVERAGE age is 13. So I think he raises a valid point that these people are victims.
Thank you. And yes these people are victims. Finally someone with some knowledge and understanding.

pandabear1991

Thank you. And yes these people are victims. Finally someone with some knowledge and understanding.

Please try not to think of this as everyone else not having "knowledge and understanding."

Your thread was not very detailed in exactly what you were upset about. You have good reason to be upset, and I am sure that other's in this community would be more then willing to help by signing this petition. You have to understand that not everyone is able to understand what you need help with if you do not add more detail, to allow us the knowledge to know what you are referring to. I personally have been trying to figure out what you were talking about for a few days? I honestly thought that you were talking about pedophiles and child rapist/molesters having history for their crimes, carrying with them for the rest of their life.

@OMGnoWAY Thank you for shedding light on this subject.

It is very unfortunate that these things happen, and I am in no way denying that it doesn't. I have not personally witnessed any of these wrong doings, but I am in no way denying that they don't happen. Actually, in my home state/town there is a Women's home for these victims (and other types of women victims). These women pay no bills to stay here and have all of their basic provisions provided for them--they practically work together and even farm for themselves. They don't have the pleasure of living a "free as a bird" life, and I feel much shame in saying that. However, they are provided for and they can live a safe life, without having to stress over being found.

In all reality, if these women/girls hope to live a normal life, what can we do to enforce their safety? I am sure that giving them mental/medical health for the rest of their lives won't be that big of a deal. Along with a free education of their choosing. But what is going to keep them safe from these people who choose to hunt them down? That is what truly concerns me.

You also have other issues: What about the ones who are given all this help to start a new safe life, yet still continue to go back? Sure it is all they have ever known, but it is almost the same as saying drug abusers who have known drugs all of their life, should never be prosecuted for living a life they know is wrong.

I am not saying all the cases are like this, but I do feel there are other things to consider here as far as circumstances. The thing is, help will only come to those who truly want it. It's not fair to target the whole country for certain areas of negligence. I feel if anything, maybe these girls/women who continue to choose that life after they have been discovered should be relocated, and court ordered to receive Mental Health treatment. There is no nice way to say that these victims have been through a lot and that starting a new life without recovery would instantly make them feel as if they don't belong, or will never feel anything more than what they were. But if they cannot make the better choice to stay on the path of the new life given to them, I don't see how court ordering should be a problem. These victims are in serious need of help, whether or not they realize it. Court ordering is just a way to enforce they go through with it, to show that the help was offered--I don't mean this harshly but you have to consider realistic options.

Hope this doesn't offend anyone!

thegrey1

Lucy I care deeply about human trafficking in general, but when you just come on here raving at an unnamed perpetrator, it's hard to wade through it. Maybe you could calm down and give people a chance to figure out what you're talking about.

DancingLady

I think things may be changing these days. Several years ago I saw a TV show that addressed the issue of girls and young women who appear to be prostitutes, but are actually trafficking victims who either do not know how to get help, or are too afraid they will be hunted down and face a worse fate. The show focused on Las Vegas, but I am sure that is not the only area where this kind of thing happens. According to the show, which is dated at this time, what was happening all too often was girls who had been kidnapped and trafficked would get picked up, but due to fear from the things they had suffered at the hands of their captors, they do not have the courage to tell the police what has happened to them, who they really are, where they are from ect. Instead they often end up being released to their pimp, who is posing as their father or guardian and they end up right back working the streets.

Awareness of human trafficking is definitely growing so I don't think this is as prevalent. There are many cops working to rescue girls and women who are being trafficked, so by now, there is likely a much greater effort made to identify possible victims and get them help.