Stress?

ABC123

I wonder how different professionals rank in regard to stress. Where would a police officer be listed for the stress he or she is under compared to a teacher, fire fighter, office worker, etc. I would think that as an officer the stress would be like a roller coaster. One hour you are fine and dandy and then you get a call and you have to act on the spot. Not knowing the extend of the call and emergency.

sillylucy

Police work is high up there, but I also think that stress has a lot to do with personality type. There are people with type A personalities who just pack on the stress and don't release. Those are the people who tend to have health problems later on in life. I was that way and now I am learning how to deal with my stress in healthy manners. If you thrive in stress, then go for it!

ABC123

That is a good point. Each person is unique and handle things differently. But if there were a poll, I still wonder where they would land.

Rainman

Firefighters sit at the top of the ladder. Cops come second I believe. Police work in inner cities where violent crimes are committed almost daily can be very hard and each day police officers know they are risking their lives each time they are patrolling the streets or [when they] get a call.

I had a look around the net and noticed that police work was ranked as the 9th most stressful. I don't know if any of you would agree.

missbishi

I had a look around the net and noticed that police work was ranked as the 9th most stressful. I don't know if any of you would agree.

Wow, it only ranked as ninth? That's surprising but then again, I suppose that jobs like POTUS or bomb disposal expert would rank far higher. I certainly couldn't deal with the stress of being a cop.

Profit5500

I wonder how different professionals rank in regard to stress. Where would a police officer be listed for the stress he or she is under compared to a teacher, fire fighter, office worker, etc. I would think that as an officer the stress would be like a roller coaster. One hour you are fine and dandy and then you get a call and you have to act on the spot. Not knowing the extend of the call and emergency.
A teacher assuming they are backed with credentials have the stress of managing a classroom full of students daily. They also have to deal with parents who only think their child is blameless. Police officer stress lies with being on the beat and dealing with dangerous suspects.

Nate

Any job is stressful at times, but when stress is getting you down, take a moment to reflect on all the things you appreciate in your life, including your own positive qualities and gifts. It could really help you keep things in perspective.

FuZyOn

Uh, hard to say really. Every job has it's perks and downs, and stress is present everywhere.
Of course, police officers are under a lot of stress since you don't know when you're going to have to go on the field and risk your life, but a teacher that has to manage classes full of children is under a lot of tension too.