Teens Kills Mother, Stabs Grandmother

Rainman

A teen, 19, who endured years of abuse at the hands of his mother snapped eventually. When neighbors heard yells, they immediately called the police but apparently it was too late.

officers to . . . found 53-year-old Melizza Wiley dead from multiple stab wounds to her face, neck and upper torso.

The teen's 73-year-old grandmother, who was in a hospital-type bed in the first floor living room, had also been stabbed in the face, neck and upper torso. Medics rushed her to Aria Torresdale Hospital, where she remains in critical, but stable condition
| NBC 10 Philadelphia

Neighbors who knew about the abuse suggested that the teen should get help instead of being sent to prison.

Gabe

How sad that the neighbors all knew what was going on and couldn't do anything. I think this is a case where home schooling didn't work out and if school was compulsory the kid would have a break and support. I feel sorry for the kid because the grandmother didn't do anything to help. Where was child welfare in all of this? Maybe he was too old now and they couldn't get involved.

FuZyOn

It's sad that no one really stood up for the teen while the abuse was happening. They could've prevented a lot if they were just a little bit courageous.
However, I think that the kid should be helped in this case. Being punished for this would only do bad for him and his sanity.

Josie

Homeschooling had nothing to do with this.. it's background, nothing at all. The abuse would have happened regardless. Otherwise, I can blame school on the millions of people that break the law and hurt others on the daily.

I feel bad for him. This certainly isn't the way to snap though. Murder always deserves time, I'm sorry. I know plenty of people who "snapped" without taking a life or maiming anyone.

jeremy2

That's really tragic and what i can hope for is that the teen is sent for counseling for he clearly needs help. It's unusual to turn violent against one's mother or family members so the need for a psychiatric evaluation on the teen before commencing on any criminal proceedings.

thegrey1

Homeschooling had nothing to do with this.. it's background, nothing at all. The abuse would have happened regardless. Otherwise, I can blame school on the millions of people that break the law and hurt others on the daily.

I feel bad for him. This certainly isn't the way to snap though. Murder always deserves time, I'm sorry. I know plenty of people who "snapped" without taking a life or maiming anyone.
No homeschooling had nothing to do with it at all! Your logic about blaming things on public schools is very sound Josie. The problem was an evil mother who mistreated her kid. I hope this young man can get some help. I feel so sorry for kids who are abused!

missbishi

Although homeschooling isn't to blame for the boy's situation. Had he attended a regular school though, it is likely that the abuse would have been picked up on by staff. Homeschooling kept him off the radar and out of sight of the authorities.

The neighbors, however, want to hang their heads in shame. They did absolutely nothing to alert the authorities when any decent person would have stepped in.

This boy needs treatment, not jail.

Gabe

That's one of the differences in the UK and US, not that it prevents these things, but very few children in the UK are homeschooled, so if you see a child during the daytime out playing then there are truant officers that will investigate. I guess it got harder for people to get involved once he was over 18 because he was an adult and the state can't interfere unless he presses charges. I assume the call outs were because of domestic disturbances.

dyanmarie25

It's sad that no one really stood up for the teen while the abuse was happening. They could've prevented a lot if they were just a little bit courageous.
However, I think that the kid should be helped in this case. Being punished for this would only do bad for him and his sanity.

I totally agree with that. If the neighbors already knew about the abuse, why didn't they intervene and get the teenage girl some help right away? This murder incident wouldn't have happened then.

Josie

Although homeschooling isn't to blame for the boy's situation. Had he attended a regular school though, it is likely that the abuse would have been picked up on by staff. Homeschooling kept him off the radar and out of sight of the authorities.

The neighbors, however, want to hang their heads in shame. They did absolutely nothing to alert the authorities when any decent person would have stepped in.

This boy needs treatment, not jail.

Possibly.. but I've seen plenty of abuse cases that were ignored or not noticed by schools. Plenty. I've seen more neighbours do something about it than schools, to be honest.

Investigators told NBC10 police have visited the home several times in the past. Several others who live on the block claimed they called police and the Department of Human Services, because they were concerned for the teen's welfare.

"I called DHS many times," said Kelly McGrath, a neighbor. "I know other neighbors who have called. I also called the school board to inquire about his homeschooling."

I feel absolutely horrible for him.. but homeschooling had nothing to do with it. He was ignored by everyone.

missbishi

Possibly.. but I've seen plenty of abuse cases that were ignored or not noticed by schools. Plenty. I've seen more neighbours do something about it than schools, to be honest.

Investigators told NBC10 police have visited the home several times in the past. Several others who live on the block claimed they called police and the Department of Human Services, because they were concerned for the teen's welfare.

"I called DHS many times," said Kelly McGrath, a neighbor. "I know other neighbors who have called. I also called the school board to inquire about his homeschooling."

I feel absolutely horrible for him.. but homeschooling had nothing to do with it. He was ignored by everyone.

Again. NOBODY is blaming homeschooling for what happened....nobody here has an agenda against it or anything like that, I think that's been made quite clear...

kana_marie

Banned
Situations like this, where the abuse is backed up by neighbors, friends, whoever is when I strongly agree with the insanity defense. How much can one person take before they snap? At what point does it become a perceived threat against their life and they feel like they have to defend themselves any way possible?