To pull the trigger or not?

jeremy2

Am fully aware of the dangers you guys face in your daily routine but i got to ask,what goes on in your mind in those final, mind boggling seconds before you pull the trigger? Is your conscience rattled by that life changing act?

jperd21

I agree. Although sometimes these experiences can be traumatic and I can definitely understand the reluctance to share. I'm sure it's intense... and frightening.

Rainman

Cops are but human. Even soldiers who are trained to kill their enemies eventually get PTSD I believe the same thing happens to cops because they or at least a good number of them can't erase the fact that they robbed someone of their life. Still don't believe it?

Police officers struggle with PTSD, but treatment can bring stigma - The Denver Post
"Seifert [a cop] . . . plunged into depression after a shootout with a gunman who killed the general manager of the Eldora Mountain Resort. Forty-nine rounds were fired in the battle with gunman Derik Bonestroo.

Once you kill . . . that stays with your forever. Tormenting you . . . so I'm certain that just before the trigger is pulled the officer holding the gun knows he has a really difficult choice to make and that the decision will forever alter his life. Negatively.

JoanMcWench

Tough question only because people are very different. Some people have the ability to compartmentalize things & easily make peace with a decision to shoot someone (let alone kill them). Others may just have a hard time with the decision itself let alone the act. Depends on the person.

jperd21

Well put. I'm not a police officer myself, but I come from a long line of Marines, and I have heard repeatedly the gravity of taking a life. As a young teen, I tried asking my father about his time in the service and if he ever took a life. I've never seen him close up like that before or since. He really didn't want to talk about it, and I never asked again. What ever happened obviously had a lasting impact on him.

marcamm

I think, at the FIRST time they do it, it takes a great deal of emotion. Taking somebody's life is no joke; it takes a great deal of courage to be able to pull that trigger. I like comparing it to the Harry Potter series - the Killing Curse. Every time you take someone's life, a part of your soul is severed forever. I agree with jperd21,​ it can have a lasting impact on someone.