Trial of Accused Mendota Heights Cop Killer Began Thursday

Onthemark

attachment.php

The trial of Brian Fitch, who is accused of killing Mendota Heights Police Officer Scott Patrick began Thursday morning in St. Cloud, Minnesota. Prosecutors say Fitch allegedly killed Mendota Heights police officer Scott Patrick during a routine traffic stop on July 30, 2014.

Prosecutors played two dashcam videos from Patrick's squad car in court. The footage captures Officer Patrick pulling over a vehicle. Prosecutors say the car was allegedly driven by Fitch. In the video, you can see Officer Patrick got out of the vehicle, and approach the suspect's car.

Prosecutors say, as Officer Patrick walks up to the car, Fitch allegedly pulls out a gun without even giving Officer Patrick a chance to respond, and fired several rounds.

The car drives off after the shots were fired, leaving the Officer Patrick laying on the street. People ran to Officer Patrick's side to help him. One man took the radio from the Officer Patrick's uniform to call for help.

After the shooting, a daylong manhunt ended with the arrest of the suspect, 39-year-old Brian Fitch Sr. When Fitch was arrested, he reportedly admitted, "I hate cops and I'm guilty."

We will keep you posted as the trial goes on.

This video is the edited version, PoliceStation has chosen not to not show the graphic moments when authorities say alleged gunman Brian Fitch opened fire.

Attachments

• OfficerScottPatrick.jpg
    OfficerScottPatrick.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 2,031
Last edited by a moderator:

JulianWilliams

It's things like this that make US cops so jumpy. They know at any moment they can be killed by some nutter which makes them very nervous whenever they are in a confrontational situation. Cops in Europe are a lot more chilled.

jeremy2

It's quite unfortunate that Patrick got killed in the line of duty. The suspect opened fire without hesitation catching the cop unaware.That was such a brutal killing.Cops need to be alert when on duty as there are many psychopaths on the loose these days.

Onionman

It's horrible to see police killed in the line of duty. He was only doing his job. Again, if you in a society where carrying a gun almost feels as natural as carrying a smartphone you shouldn't be surprised when a lot of this kind of thing happens. A tense stand off leads to one or the other pulling their gun. It's so sad.

donnalynn47

I have so much respect for law officers. These guys have a deadly job yet, and still they get out there everyday for us. My heart goes out to his family, the guy that shot him should get the needle. At least he'll have the advantage of knowing its coming something he did give the office.

thomas pendrake

When I was young (late 1950s) and living is South Carolina an officer (probably Highway Patrol, I don't remember) saw a car with a defective tail-light. What he did not know was that the people in the car had just robbed a motel (out in the country at a major intersection). I don't believe they had hurt anyone at the Motel. When the officer walked up to the car to tell them about the light, the driver fired his 45 caliber pistol through the car door and killed the officer.
It sounds as if the officer had done nothing questionable, and the photo looks like a friendly officer, not one with an attitude. I am sure there are a few officers out there who don't deserve respect, but nothing about this case points in that direction.

Gabe

I guess you never know who has a gun and who will pull one out on you in the US. In all my time I have been fortunate not to have encountered any guns, but the legality of them makes it dangerous for anyone near someone who legally owns one and is unstable.