Two Officers Shot At City Hall

Onthemark

attachment.php

Authorities in New Hope, Minnesota say a man opened fire at police officers attending a swearing-in ceremony for new officers Monday night.

The incident unfolded around 7:15 p.m. while the officers were leaving the meeting the suspect approached them and opened fire. The two officers that were just sworn in were hit, the other police officer with them opened fire on the man, killing him.

In the video, you see council member John Elder, a former officer take his handgun out and prepare to respond if the shooter came into the room where there was a council meeting being held.

Officials say both officers that were shot were taken to the hospital and are in good condition. Authorities say they don't know why the man shot the two police officers. His name hasn't been released.

PS will update this story as more information becomes available.

Attachments

• citynewhope.jpg
    citynewhope.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1,768
Last edited by a moderator:

Onionman

At a swearing-in ceremony?! That's just crazy. Why would anyone do that? It just goes to show that the police aren't safe anywhere. I guess we may never know why.

tanker

At a swearing-in ceremony?! That's just crazy. Why would anyone do that? It just goes to show that the police aren't safe anywhere. I guess we may never know why.

I am not sure what is getting into people now days. Maybe we need stricter laws protecting police or something. Or maybe life now days is just too stressful and complicated making people act crazy.

jeremy2

Am glad that those two officers survived the ordeal.It's unimaginable that in a country like the US that this can happen especially especially in the precincts of their swearing in venue.That moron had balls to pull off such a stunt but he paid dearly with his life.

mairj23

The U.S. is turning into Iraq. I lot of these problems today are from people who have grudges against the police. Law Enforcement has been under some scrutiny lately and this is the backlash. Until the officers stop taking the Law into their own hands, this activity will continue. I'm sorry for the officers that got shot at but your fellow officers, could be to blame.

Why do people need to inflict harm on people who have done no wrong? Police officers are also humans and people need to realize that they chose this job so they could protect us and enforce the law. Police may be jittery or act rash in bad situations, but that is because in those situations, they don't know if they are going to get shot at or if they are going to be harmed. We all need to just follow the rules.

Gabe

This goes back to the easy gun laws. If people are legally allowed to walk around with concealed weapons then the likelihood of them pulling them out is high. Until there are stricter laws, these things will continue to happen.