Two seventh-grade students suspended for playing with airsoft gun in own yard

Anthony

Super Moderator
Two seventh-grade students in Virginia Beach, Va., have been suspended from school until the end of the school year. The two boys possibly face expulsion after a neighbor complained about them playing with toy guns in one of their yards while waiting for the school bus.
The two boys have an additional hearing in January to decide if they will be expelled for "possession, handling and use of a firearm" because the guns were fired at two others playing in Caraballo's yard.
The unnamed neighbor witnessed the two boys playing with the toy gun and call 911. She told the dispatcher, "He is pointing the gun, and it looks like there's a target in a tree in his front yard," a source said.
"This is not a real one, but it makes people uncomfortable. I know that it makes me uncomfortable, as a mom, to see a boy pointing a gun," the neighbor said.
One of the boys’ mother told reporters she thought it's ridiculous that her son and his friends are suspended because they were firing the airsoft gun on private property.
“My son is my private property. He does not become the school's property until he goes to the bus stop, gets on the bus, and goes to school," the mother said.
The two boys say they never went to the bus stop; they fired the airsoft guns while on Caraballo's private property.
"It's on your school record. The school said I had possession of a firearm. They aren't going to ask me any questions. They are going to think it was a real gun, and I was trying to hurt someone," one of the boys’ said.
"The children were firing pellet guns at each other, and at people near the bus stop." The Larkspur Middle School principal Matthew Delaney said in a letter.
"My son is my private property. He does not become the school's property until he goes to the bus stop, gets on the bus, and goes to school," said Solangel Caraballo.
Virginia Beach Police said they will not charging anyone in the case. They would not discuss the specifics because the people involved are juveniles.

Attachments

• zzzzsoft.jpg
    zzzzsoft.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 55