Type I Diabetes

JoanMcWench

Is anyone aware of whether or not you can become a police officer if you suffer from Type I? I know that there are police officers on the force with Type II, but have yet to meet someone who has Type I. Anyone?

bala

Acc to the law:No disease can disqualify anyone , IF they are able to do the job and pass all entrance requirements.
In reality..Some forces allow Type 1 diabetics, some do not. Most forces tend to allow Type 2 diabetics, provided they are in good general health.

JoanMcWench

Oh, yes, I do understand that law bala. However, I know you cannot join any military branch when you are a Type I diabetic. I suppose my curiosity here is how can that not translate to being a police officer? As a police officer, you may be put in dangerous situations that will not afford you the opportunity to check your blood or drink some juice. This may even put your fellow officers in danger given the right (wrong) situation.

bala

Oh, yes, I do understand that law bala. However, I know you cannot join any military branch when you are a Type I diabetic. I suppose my curiosity here is how can that not translate to being a police officer? As a police officer, you may be put in dangerous situations that will not afford you the opportunity to check your blood or drink some juice. This may even put your fellow officers in danger given the right (wrong) situation.
yeah,and that is why you never are put in charge of situations like those.You risk others life too and and that is why while selecting special squads,they make sure every person on it,is fit and raring to go.You can get into police force but can't be a part of all these actions.

JoanMcWench

It's rather hard to dictate what situations may come your way as a police officer. Does anyone have a link to a source where I can read about the rules to this issue? Or, perhaps, a quote from some sort of policy manual? Would it be different depending on where you are trying to serve? Thanks in advance.

wulfman

I don't think diabetes disqualifies you. It is very manageable considering the amount of Americans and people world wide that have it.

JoanMcWench

Type I diabetes is very different from Type II.

P.S. The large amount of people who are diabetic are Type II. Very few are Type I or have gestational diabetes by comparison.