Video-recording police

primalclaws1974

It seems many people think it is against the law, or at the very least they will get yelled at by a police officer if you record them. You can legally record anyone in public, including the police! They might yell at you, or threaten to take your camera, but as long as you are not obstructing their duties, they can't. There used to be a series of videos that this guy took of cops trying to force him to shut off his camera. He defended himself, and both he and the officer stood their ground, as the film rolled on. The only time they detained him and took his camera was when he went into the police station and filmed. They didn't arrest him, they just shut off the camera and put him back on the street. I am not saying you should "harass" police for no good reason, but if you have your cell phone out and feel like recording, it's not a crime. Have you ever recorded police?

ally79

No, I haven't and I haven't had any need to because I have had very little contact with law enforcement. I think encouraging people to film them for no good reason is rather irresponsible.

jeremy2

Police men where i come from would probably think that one is insane if you tried to record them on video.It would be extremely risky to pull off such a stunt and you would be lucky if you don't get arrested.

primalclaws1974

I appreciate the replies, but I don't understand either one of them. I am guessing you were raised to believe the police are untouchable. There is no reason whatsoever you cannot record people, including police. I am not saying you should do it just to try and cause a problem, but if you wanted to add it to a YouTube video on your channel, showing your hometown, and you come across a police person, there's no reason to stop recording. You can also put it online. Public recording is not illegal in any way, and you would NOT be arrested, unless you interfered in official acts.

LitoLawless

I've never had a reason to film a police officer and I don't think I'll ever have one. In New York (where I'm from) people have been filming cops pretty often. It's become somewhat of a trend, and has really exposed how some cops treat some people they come in contact with during their shifts. I have friends who have filmed police, and they have told me that they always felt a sense of danger when they did it.

Gelsemium

I don't see any good reason to record the police, unless they are doing something illegal, which has to be uncommon. I am not sure about it being legal though.

Krisi

I believe that police should have fully functioning body cameras on them during every shift. I also believe that if people want to film a police officer in a public area, as long as they are not interfering with anything, they should be allowed to.

I think that complete transparency is the best way to build up rapport with citizens. Like it or not, some police officers can and will abuse their power, so this is the best way to attempt to stop that.

primalclaws1974

I agree with you 100% Krisi. I can tell by many of the answers on this thread that people still think they will get in trouble either legally, or a police person will yell and/or take their camera. None of it will happen if the officer follows the law. I wouldn't suggest trailing a cop or going out of your way to be seen recording them. That's just looking for trouble, and you may get it. But if you are already recording, or decide to pull out your phone to record, go for it. You are NOT breaking any laws. If a police person takes your device, that would be illegal seizure.

milyjohnson

I haven't been stopped by the police so I haven't recorded them. I would probably do it if I were approached by one for no reason.

sunrider

I've never recorded a police officer because I've never felt the need, but if I did feel the need, I would. It's not a crime to film the police. I have never worked with an officer who got upset when someone pulled out a camera. I know it happens, but it's just not my experience with my colleagues.

I've personally been filmed by individuals before during the course of my duties. It can be unsettling even when you know you're in the right, but it's not illegal and I have no reason to ask them to stop provided they aren't doing anything to jeopardize my safety. And hey, at the end of the day, might as well have evidence that I'm not doing anything wrong. Sometimes I worry about funky editing, but it has never been a problem.

Mackmax

I have never recorded the police, but I certainly would if I ever caught a policeman being brutal. Many police hate being recorded because they don't want to be caught in the act. It's kind of funny seeing police getting so angry when they realize their brutality was caught on camera. Yes, it is legal to film others, including police. Just make sure the content isn't purposefully defacing, or you could get caught in a lawsuit. Know your rights, people!

primalclaws1974

What do you mean by "purposefully defacing"? If you are recording someone that is committing a crime or a police person being brutal, aren't they defacing themselves? How can the person recording the event make it worse, unless they are somehow involved in the crime. As I have said through this whole thread, as long as you are the innocent bystander, holding the camera out of the way of any chance of being accused of obstruction, you are within your rights, and nothing legal can be done to you.