What are the minimum fitness standards for police officers?

JulianWilliams

What are the minimum fitness standards for police officers in the US? Are the cops regularly tested in order to make sure they maintain a certain level? Is the level of fitness really that important for cops to be able to do their jobs properly?

PriscillaKing

In my part of the world I don't think the standards are high enough. Thinking of one specific person here...it's laudable if someone over age 50 still wants to be a sheriff's deputy, but if he's overweight, can't keep up with a 50-year-old woman walking, and can't climb a steep hill at a fast pace, is he more of a liability than an asset to the force? Granted, we don't see a lot of situations that call for a police officer to run. But they should be able to run if it does become necessary. It looks bad for the whole county when they're not. And besides, this guy has a family who probably prefer that he stay alive and healthy. I think he should be required to exercise.

Vickeree

I was wondering about this question myself. I'm not sure what is the standard physical requirement for the police academy but for the seals I think it’s something like a 5km run in less than 20 minutes, an 800 meter swim in 15 minutes, 50 push ups, 100 situps in less than a minute and 15 pull ups before they even consider you. Not many people can do that.

Josie

I don't know about anywhere else, but in my home town, the rules seem to be "must be cut, young and look like a movie god or goddess". So I assume they live in the gym and are constantly being buffed and waxed when they're off duty. Just beautiful lol.