What can I do to be safe while running or walking outside?

olivia

I used to think my neighborhood was pretty safe, but I recently found out that there have been reports of a man targeting women in the area. They are not extremely violent attacks, but apparently he attempts to pull their clothes off or grope them before running away. I've been staying away from that particular route and instead sticking to parks that feel safer. What else should I be doing to stay safe as a woman running alone? Does anyone carry pepper spray or anything with them while they run?

Patrick

The best form of security is to have a exercise buddy to jog with you, criminals are much less likely to strike if you have company. If you are unable to have a friend to accompany you, try to exercise during hours where there are more likely to be people around, during the dawn or dusk period as people start their daily commute would be ideal.

Determined2014

I would say, try and run in a group, pay attention when you are running,dont listen to music that way you are aware of your sorrounding.

Patrick

You can also take self-defense classes or try to identify the criminals and tell the police.

Definitely, self-defense classes might be expensive but they are a worthwhile lifelong investment. There are many parents enrolling their children in karate classes for example, so they get a good foundation and can protect themselves against criminals. Martial arts also makes for a great workout session to help you keep in shape!

cc1001

What I do to keep myself safe while walking or running is to be alert. I am a woman and I do not take my safety for granted. I will not go running or walking in the dark alone. I watch the people around me.

dolittle94

I would say that running with someone is always a good idea. If you can't find a running partner then you have to be extra careful about being observant and aware of all your surroundings. Don't go running in deserted areas or alleyways at the dead of night or morning because it's like asking for someone to kidnap you. Also, work out a routine trail and let someone know where you're going to be just as a precaution.

shandrum

I am also a runner. I have had a few scares in my lifetime while on the road running. So, naturally I am constantly thinking about my surroundings. I do carry maze with me and I run with it in hand with my finger on the button. When I was 23, I had a very bad scare, in which a "crazy man" tried to hit me with his car. I reported it and later found out, he was being watched by the police, because he had a substantial record from Georgia. Well, to make a long story short, he was later arrested for murdering 4 women. In addition, he claimed at his trail to have killed over 14 women over a 10 year span. He was convicted of 4 murders and sentenced to death in 1997/1998. In 2009, he died on death roll in Alabama. So, if you have any feeling that something is not right, don't go that route and turn around. If you get in a situation, yell as loud as you can and make yourself known. Also, never run in dark secluded areas. I would also have a running buddy and yes, carry maze. It's a very crazy world and you never know who is out lurching around and looking for trouble.

primalclaws1974

Some common sense would probably go a long way. Be aware of your surroundings all the time. If you are easily distracted then I would suggest not listening to music. If someone seems odd or out of place, avoid them at all costs. If their behavior seems inappropriate, report them immediately.

ally79

Carry a handgun in a waistpack would be my first suggestion. I would also recommend running with a partner, and using well-used paths. If you are completely opposed to firearms at least get a whistle and some pepper spray.

Nate5

I agree that it's just the matter of common sense and being aware of your surroundings. Run during the time of day when there is light, and don't run in areas that seem kind of sketchy, such as alleyways or dilapidated parks. Get a running buddy, as you can have each others backs. Make sure your family knows where you are so if something does happen, someone will be suspicious and call. Bring a phone if you can, but unless you're really scared, I don't know if a gun or pepper spray is necessary.

hayrake

That is an excellent question and one that concerns me as well. I run every day (or nearly so) and I'm always alone. I have a horse farm and when I am home I run on the back pasture. It is secluded, surrounded by trees and woods on the three outside perimeters. I feel safe there and I know that my husband does not worry about me, either. He does check on me occasionally, though, if it seems to him like I've been gone a very long time.

When I am not home I am at camp. Our camp is in a very rural area of GA. We go there frequently, taking horses and riding trails through a large section of national forest land. If it is dark, I generally remain in the camp while I run; but if it is not dark I might choose to run a portion of the trails, though I don't do that very often. What I do choose to do often is to run on the dirt road that the campsite is on. It has a lot of hills, which I don't get at home. It is also seldom travelled. I often see no one on that road until I get back to the camp, and I have become somewhat familiar with the few people I do occasionally see.

A few of the neighbors within the camp have begun telling me I should remain there and not go down that road. They go so far as attempting to scare me with invented stories about large animals thereabouts, etc. They rehash the news stories we hear about things happening to women running/walking/cycling alone in rural areas. I know they only tell me these things because they care about me and they think I am unconcerned and have no idea what could happen. They are wrong. I am concerned, I do know what can happen and I remain alert and aware of my surroundings when I am out.

Being alert and aware may not be enough, though. Since I am determined to enjoy these moments on the road (and occasionally on the trails), what can I do to make myself less vulnerable? I've thought about mace, pepper spray, and even a gun. None of these ideas appeal to me.

missbishi

Always walk or run so you are facing the oncoming traffic. This gives you a better chance of being seen by others should something untoward happen. Like another poster says, don't wear earphones either - you won't be able to hear anyone coming up behind you.

sunrider

Great tips in here! Your best bet for safety:

- Run in well-lit, well-populated areas.
- Run with a buddy.
- Be careful if you choose to carry a weapon, even if it's mace. In some places, mace can be considered a concealed weapon and you need a permit to carry it.
- Always be conscious of your surroundings.
- Know your location at all times. God forbid something happens and you need to call for help, knowing a cross street or address at all times will help immensely.

mrsbright

People brought up very solid points. If you run, you should not do it at night, alone, in unknown places, that's just asking for trouble. You should bring someone to run with you or, at the very least, tell someone where you are going to run, how long you think you'll take and what are the points you will run by. Bring your phone and make sure you have someone trusted on speed dial, just in case.
If it's about your safety to not get an accident; well, wear bright colors. Some sports clothing have reflective stripes.

If you are just passing through a neighborhood you are unsure of, don't jam some hearphones in your ears, make sure you walk confident and mindful of what's going on. Don't look stressed. I've read that eating something will make you appear confident and like you belong a bit more to the place (stressed people would not just casually eat and all).

missbishi

If you are running at the roadside, make sure you are facing the oncoming traffic. This makes it easier for motorists to see you. It also lessens the chance of attack as you are clearly visible to anyone who is driving by. I would agree that it is better not to use your iPod, you need to be able to hear what is going on behind you.

Kittyworker

Okay, first off, DONT CARRY A HANDGUN while running. That is just extremely stupid idea even if you are gropped shooting the person is not an acceptable response and you will be charged. Secondly, if you know there is someone in the area targeting women, DONT RUN ALONE. I mean seriously, this should be pretty obvious. Find a friend to run with, if you cant find someone there are often running groups that you can join. Don't run at night. If its dark outside you just make yourself a target, not only for creeps but for motorists as well. Reflective vests are okay, but there are so many reflective signs and stuff on the side of the road it may not register that you're a person until after you've been hit.

DancingLady

Stay on main roads, well lit and well traveled areas. That way there will be others around, even if you do not have a running buddy. Have your phone with you and carry it in a pocket that is very easy to access quickly. Be alert and if you see someone that makes you feel even a little nervous or suspicious pull out the phone and act like you are making a call. This is a great deterrent because they don't know if you actually are talking to someone. Pepper spray is a good self defense weapon, but if you don't have or don't want to go that route you can also carry a flashlight. Look for a small metal one with LED lights, which are really bright and an on off that can be done with the thumb. This kind of flashlight you can use to shine in someone's eyes if they are attempting to catch you. If it's metal it will also have some weight and hardness to it so you could whack someone with it if necessary.

Mackmax

Go running in well-lit populated areas. People are way less likely to attack in broad daylight with plenty of witnesses around. Don't go running on some strange musty trail where nobody can hear your cries for help, go running at a popular park.
Also, carry something with you while you run, wether it be a taser, your keys, or pepper spray. I'd recommend pepper spray because in the case that you and the assailant get into a scuffle and he gains your weapon, the worst he can do is spray you. He cannot electrocute you or stab you.
Also, go running with a partner. People are way less likely to attack when they see they're outnumbered.

shandrum

I always carry protective spray (pepper or maze) with me at all times. I carry it in my hand as I run ready to fire if needed- just a word of caution, be very careful how you spray it. I once sprayed it at a dog that came after me and the wind caused it to get in my eyes. The spray I had when this occurred was specially formulated for animals, so it was not as strong. The maze I have now is at a higher strength. So, just be aware of this when you are purchasing your maze/pepper spray if you have not already purchased some.