What should I do?

Dunkel

I've finished my BS in CS from UCLA. I've been looking for work for a couple of months. I would really enjoy working in a job that's affiliated with the police. I have a lot of student debt. So should I join the Army/Air Force or try to get in the Police Academy?

If I went the military route, I could play my student loans and then I could join the police force? Or should I go head on the police academy?

KrustyKrabella

I would join the Army as an MP. Sign up for 4 years, stick to a solid budget to get your student loans to a more comfortable level, and don't go crazy with all the credit people love to dangle in front of new recruits. The military service will take you far in regards to getting hired as a civilian LEO. And, since you have a degree, you could even go to Officer Candidate School. Go visit a recruiter! there's offices absolutely everywhere.

My husband recently retired with 21 years in the Army. There's a lot of benefits. And some not so great stuff, but using it as a step to get you to your desired path would be a win-win situation, I think!

Dunkel

Thanks for the advice. I was tempted to go to a recruitment office but I was scared that I would be drafted right on the spot. Plus I'm not in good shape. I'm just trying to weigh in the options after finishing college and this makes the most sense.

Give thanks to your husband for serving. 21 years of service, that's a lot of good work there. And thanks for the advice.

Shawn

Go military. You might end up making a career out of it instead. With your degree too, you should be able to become an officer fairly quickly. That is a big deal and you get a lot of contacts which could become beneficial to finding you a great place to work post-services.

KrustyKrabella

Thanks for the advice. I was tempted to go to a recruitment office but I was scared that I would be drafted right on the spot. Plus I'm not in good shape. I'm just trying to weigh in the options after finishing college and this makes the most sense.

Give thanks to your husband for serving. 21 years of service, that's a lot of good work there. And thanks for the advice.

Just don't sign anything and you'll be safe :) They can be pushy because of their unrealistic quota obligations, but they can't make you do anything unless you've signed something. Even if you aren't in shape yet, just go visit a recruiter. You can make a lot more money as a college graduate in the military than those having to start at the bottom.

It doesn't hurt to know all your options! Good luck to you!

Profit5500

Yeah go the military route so you can really learn so many skills that would help you. Like one of the other users here have said that you would make a career out of that instead.

GemmaRowlands

I think if you were to go down the route of the military, you would be entering into a job that would have a much better chance of supporting both yourself and your family in the long term. You do have to think carefully about where it is that your passions lie, though, because if it's not something that you truly want to do and your heart isn't in it, there's no way that you would be able to cope with just how difficult all of the tests are that you have to pass.

joshua minaya

Personally i think the best thing for you to do should be to join the police force because this days their are so many benefits of being part of the police family.However the final decision is up to you as I will always recommend for you to follow your instincts and follow your heart