When a robber enters your home..

GemmaRowlands

As far as I am aware, you're only allowed to do what you need to in order to make sure that you're not in danger. If the robber has a gun, for example, then you're much more likely to get away with murdering him than you would if he didn't have a weapon in his hand - because in the latter case it is unlikely that your life would be in danger. You would have to convince them that you were worried for your safety, and that it was self defence rather than just shooting to kill for the fun of it. There are some things that you can get away with, others that you can't, but there is a very fine line between the two.

LuckyGirl08

The city that I live in, we are allowed to shoot and kill any trespassers and will not get charged or go to jail. It also depends on who you know in the city down here. If we catch a robber on our property we have the right to open fire in them. I think that there are some states that do not allow this though.

JoshPosh

Banned
It probably depends from state to state, but I believe general self defend laws allow you to use the same weapons as the criminal does. If you're endangered with a certain amount of force, you can use the same amount or similar amount against him, but with a limit. You can only do as much as needed to make it safe for you. That means, enough to control/disarm him and perhaps immobilize him.

I believe this to be true. The level of self defense must be on par with the attackers intent.

JoshPosh

Banned
The city that I live in, we are allowed to shoot and kill any trespassers and will not get charged or go to jail. It also depends on who you know in the city down here. If we catch a robber on our property we have the right to open fire in them. I think that there are some states that do not allow this though.

By your definition of the laws in your area, if a bunch of girl scouts enter your property and are selling cookies, you could shoot them and get off on trespassing charges? Where is this place?

Moosh10

I come from England but live in Switzerland at present time.
i am not sure where I stand on shoot to kill?!
Obviously I would be scared but if the robbery was at night and I was on my own with only my husband, I pretend we both where sleeping. My reasoning for this is; belongs can be replaced but your life and theirs can not.

Last edited:

primalclaws1974

I am from Iowa. A couple of years ago, a teenager was caught by the elderly homeowner trying to crawl through the kitchen window (above the sink). The woman shot him dead. She lived in a bad neighborhood in Des Moines, and was legally armed. The boy's mom tried to argue that the woman had no right to kill him, even though he was clearly breaking into her home. The state disagreed. She received no punishment of any sort.

Moosh10

Scary to live in the States with all the guns and gun crimes. I don't think I could live with myself if I had to shoot someone. The trauma of being broken into us bad enough but add a shooting to the incident would drive me insane, especially if it was a young teenager. Some excellent posts though, especially the one stating which states the law allows you to shoot and not get prosecuted.

missbishi

I would certainly shoot, but I'd shoot to disable, not kill. It's crazy that you can get into serious trouble for defending your home and family though. I know you shouldn't have the mentality that you would instantly kill any trespasser but I imagine it would be many peoples first instinct on discovering an intruder.

Kittyworker

In my country (New Zealand) it is very gray and not many people know the laws. It most cases the focus is on the instigating or most severe crime.
My understanding is (I am not a lawyer or cop) basically if someone steals something from you, you can verbally engage them, chase them, grab your item. However you cannot tackle them, punch them or block them (this will be assault). Although I have seen usually in court these cases go in favor of the person recovering their item, as long as it isn't excessive.
If someone breaks and enters, you have right to ask them to leave, verbally trespass them, and if they don't leave you can physically assist them to leave. You cannot hold them or tie them up, although if they are considered a danger to themselves or others usually you get off in court (I don't recommend this). If you attack them with your cricket bat you will be charged with assault with a weapon.
Example: A guy sees a group of youngsters tagging his fence, he yells at them, chases them, grabs one of them and beats him to a pulp. The kid later dies in hospital. The result was the guy was charged with manslaughter and sentenced to jail.

Peachdejour

I don't care. Once a robber enters my home, he no longer has any regard for my safety or the safety of my family. If he's in my house, I'm going to shoot him. I would rather be sitting in jail than being raped or see my baby girl get hurt. Sticks and stones may break my bones, but hollow points expand on impact.

Peninha

We have the right to defend ourselves especially in our home. I hope it's not a life threatening situation, but in the case that it is we should defend our lives.

Mackmax

With a good lawyer, you can get off, or at least have an affordable bail if you kill the person solely out of self-defense. Most robberies are unarmed, so if you shoot a guy for being in your home when you could've just as easily run outside and call 911, you will most likely receive punishment.
There are many factors that go into wether or not you'll be convicted. If you had children who were home at the time, you are less likely since a mother and father's first instinct is to protect their child at all costs. If the robber had a violent history, you're also less likely to go to jail.

LitoLawless

I think if someone is trying to enter your home you have a right to defend yourself. They are already in the wrong, and are committing a crime as well. I don't understand why a punishment for someone trying to defend themselves wold even be a question.