Would you be one?

thegrey1

If you saw corruption on the force and you were too honest to join in, would you be a whistleblower? I think this takes a lot of courage when it's easier to be part of the rank and file and get along with everyone. However, the alternative is obviously the ethical route. Which way would you go?

missbishi

What a difficult question. I'd like to think I'd blow the whistle but I'm not certain that I would do that immediately. It would depend on the general workplace culture too - if it was likely that my career might be made more difficult by making a report then I would be hesitant. At the same time though, I couldn't just stand by and allow corruption to occur.

Diane Lane

For me, I think it would depend on what time of life this occurred during. When I was younger, I was less strong in my convictions, and might not have brought the issue to light, or might have tried to do it via a soft approach. Nowadays, I'm less gentle, and, depending upon the circumstances, might just blow the whole thing wide open. Of course the right thing to do is call it to the attention of higher ups, but then again, there are some forces where the corruption starts at the top, and also, cities/areas where the corruption exists high above any one agency, with city/county/state officials, and flows downward. So, I think there are many factors to be considered. I saw an article recently stating that drug cartels have infiltrated all levels of law enforcement (in the U.S.), meaning local, state, and federal, which is a very scary thought, especially for one considering confronting corruption, when it's possible you could be approaching someone who's involved, and it could mean death to you and/or your family.

thegrey1

I wouldn't bother with higher-ups. I would drop a bug in the ear of an ambitious reporter, and make sure he knew that I was the innocent one. Then I'd just stand back and watch the show.:D

wahmed

I wouldn't bother with higher-ups. I would drop a bug in the ear of an ambitious reporter, and make sure he knew that I was the innocent one. Then I'd just stand back and watch the show.:D

I think I agree with you. There is too much chance that higher ups are involved and you see things go from bad to worse.

JoanMcWench

It's rare that you wouldn't be at least suspected if you didn't join in the illegal reindeer games. So, if this story had an 'anonymous source' I would be concerned that they would naturally assume it was me either way. Might as well be in front of the situation & just be a source not an anonymous one.

calicer1996

I'll choose to be the whistle blower in a heart beat partly because that's how I am. I don't get attached to people easily. It's not a difficult decision for me. Moreover, life would be way more interesting and adventurous albeit a little risk too.

dyanmarie25

Honesty is kind of a rare virtue these days. Yeah, I agree. It would take a lot of courage for you to tell the truth since you don't want to mess up with these officers' lives, they might get back at you, and your life would be put in danger eventually. But I don't think I'll partake with the corruption going on, I might just pretend I don't know it's happening. But it's also difficult to play along specially if your guilt/conscience is eating you up. It would take a lot of thinking and reflection first before I'll go ahead to the media and disclose this issue.

Gabe

I think when people are confronted with this, they transfer, because they know they will get found out and their life and career will take a dive. Ignorance doesn't make it okay, but the best thing is to remove yourself from it. It depends how high up it goes, because ethics aside, if it costs you your life and the safety of others that hasn't helped. I would send an anonymous tip off after a transfer or resignation.

Rainman

Unless you used a third party to expose the corruption in your police department, then things might end badly. If these corrupt cops have friends in gangs they could easily get rid off you. Tell the gang members where you'll be and you get ambushed . . .

These things happen. All the time. That's why I'd never be a whistle-blower. I wouldn't get my hands dirty though.

thegrey1

I think when people are confronted with this, they transfer, because they know they will get found out and their life and career will take a dive. Ignorance doesn't make it okay, but the best thing is to remove yourself from it. It depends how high up it goes, because ethics aside, if it costs you your life and the safety of others that hasn't helped. I would send an anonymous tip off after a transfer or resignation.
I think that would be the way to go. I would transfer out, and then report the corruption, maybe 6 months down the line. That is the most sensible route to take.

FuZyOn

I think that would be the way to go. I would transfer out, and then report the corruption, maybe 6 months down the line. That is the most sensible route to take.
I agree with you both! I've never thought about this question but this is probably the most logical and no-drama way to do it, though I think it's somewhat hard to transfer fast.

Onionman

I would like to think that I would do the right thing. It's kind of in line with how I look at the world. But in the heat of battle and in the real world, I really don't know what I would do. Peer pressure and thoughts about your career are always going to have an influence. It's a difficult one.

musicmonster

There's a possibility that I'll blow the whistle. However, if I have my family... I might also think about keeping my mouth shut. It could be scary. I'll have to protect my family as well.