2 former federal agents charged with stealing Bitcoin

missbishi

Two former DEA agents have been charged with money laundering and fraud offences after stealing millions of dollars worth of Bitcoin during the investigation into the Silk Road website. One of the agents, Carl Force, is also accused of trying to blackmail Ross Ulbricht, Silk Road founder, for of $250,000.

I guess they thought that the apparent anonymity of Bitcoin transactions would prevent them from being found out....

2 federal agents charged with stealing bitcoin during silk road probe - CNN.com

Rainman

DEA agents again. The agency has been getting a bad rep of late. Consorting with drug cartels, stealing bitcoins and a lot of other crimes. I always tell people bitcoin isn't the best investment. Not only is their value volatile but it looks like they [bitcoin invetors] now have something to worry them more — the theft of bitcoins.

hellonamesdan

I always said that I thought it would be a really good idea for the government to have Bitcoin and online currency proficient departments so that they know how to handle it and they can take advantage of it, but not like this!

JoanMcWench

Intelligent move in stealing something most of the department likely doesn't understand. Idiotic move in not covering your tracks accordingly. What's worse than a normal criminal getting caught? An agent getting caught.

FuZyOn

Well, props for them for trying something that is hard to trace but shame on them for being very foolish with their actions.
Lately I've seen a lot of officers being really shady and I think that there's a lot of corruption going on these days.

sillylucy

I am not surprised! Did you guys see how much bitcoin was worth at one point? They probably thought that it was a quick way to get rich! If they had access to it, I can see how it was totally tempting. I am glad that the bitcoin market has slowed down a bit. Too many shady dealings with bitcoin.