Are there really quotas to fill for writing tickets each month?

primalclaws1974

I have always heard that toward the end the month you better watch out, because if the police are behind on their quotas they will give you a ticket for anything. Is there any truth to it? Since the money from the tickets (presumably) is put back into the city/county/state is this a necessity to refill the official coffers? If it is not true, where did this rumor start?

januz101

I believe there is already a thread similar to this and for everyones information the answer is no. That saying would fall under the category of urban legend. You get caught if you commit a violation that's it. Other than that there's really nothing out of the ordinary there. So, if you're afraid of getting a ticket then practice driving safely.

Gelsemium

Yep, I've seen a similar thread, maybe they could be merged. Either cases, this situation of the quotas doesn't make much sense to me, it's illegal parking or not right?

primalclaws1974

I believe there is already a thread similar to this and for everyones information the answer is no. That saying would fall under the category of urban legend. You get caught if you commit a violation that's it. Other than that there's really nothing out of the ordinary there. So, if you're afraid of getting a ticket then practice driving safely.

The thread is not about quotas, it's about types of tickets. I don't really agree with you as to it being standard black and white you get treated the same by a policeperson every time. If a cop is having a bad day you are more likely to get written up than if things have gone smoothly. I understand everyone has bad days at work, but not everyone has authority to dish it up to others.

Patrick

As much as I believe that there isn't a quota, I think that traffic police may sometimes feel pressured to hand out a ticket if they haven't given out any in a long time. I think it wouldn't reflect too well to their superiors if they gave out zero tickets, it could suggest that they were skiving on the job.