AZ woman acquitted after 22 years on Death Row

missbishi

Debra Milke, who spent 22 years on Death Row for the alleged murder of her son was today cleared of all charges. Her conviction was overturned on the basis that one of the detectives working on the case was discreditable. There are two other people on Death Row for this murder and both have always refused to testify against Milke, which I think speaks volumes.

Thankfully, an unwarranted execution has been avoided. I'm pretty sure that this is a rarity though. I wonder how many times the wrong person has actually been executed?

After 22 years on death row, woman sees murder case tossed

kana_marie

Banned
That's wonderful news! The death penalty is handed down way to easily anyway. Finding out that an in ocent person was spared is beautiful. I wonder how they could possibly compensate her for 22 years of her life. There is no amount of money to make up for that.

thegrey1

This is a terrible story with a bittersweet ending. I favor the death penalty, but ONLY if the evidence, including DNA, is irrefutable. The justice system really failed this lady! Imagine losing your son, and then being rail-roaded for his murder!

westmixxin

I couldn't imagine being in a situation where I've been in jail pretty much my entire life and someone actually discovers that what I was accused of was wrong. In the future they have the find a way to get people back these years otherwise it's like what's the point. You rob someone of their entire existence you stole someone's life from them. I don't think there such thing as compensation for something like that.

Rainman

That's one reason why I'm against the death penalty. I'm sure thousands of people have been wrongly executed for crimes they never committed. Circumstantial evidence could on face value prove that someone committed a crime but what if the evidence is planted by someone else to incriminate another? Would one have to pay with his/her life for a crime they never committed?

The woman should sue for wrongful conviction.

Gabe

This is not rare at all. There are many bodies like the Innocence Project and Reprieve that help fight these cases because of the legal system and its failure. Corrupt cops have been outed, false confessions admitted and inadequate representation as well as the prosecution being found withholding evidence. Exonerations have been made possible with DNA technology, but it still has to go through the system which is why these bodies help with costs and the procedures as many of these people don't have the finances or support.

PrideKidd

I feel so bad for this woman. She not only lost her son but was incarcerated for 22 years on death row. I can not even imagine what it would be like to lose your son then your life. I am glad for this lady, she deserves more justice than just being let go. I mean 22 years of being in jail for a crime you did not commit, what would it take to make that right? I am also mostly against the death penalty, unless it is a 100% fact the criminal did the crime. It is refreshing to see this woman was released before she could be executed.

Josie

Amazing.. I can't even imagine what that must have been like for her. There is nothing in this world worse or more feared than losing a child. Then to be whisked away to prison.. death row?? Wow. That poor woman. Yes, another reason I'm against the death penalty. Innocent people have been executed for as long as humans have existed.. just because we have cement walls now, doesn't mean we now have a perfect system.

bala

Oh..now i understand why courts take forever to convict the guilty.They want to make sure the innocent are not put through any torture.All this while i have been thinking court were useless.