Boston Marathon Bombing Movie

Diane Lane

I've seen stories stating that Mark Wahlberg wants to make a movie about the Boston Marathon Bombing. There seem to be opinions on both sides of the fence, about whether or not he should. Some think it's too soon, others think it would be ok if some of the proceeds were donated to a victims' fund. What you do think?

I'm from the area, and I'd be o.k. with it because it's an important event, and I think he would handle the subject matter with respect. I would definitely see the movie, and think it would be great if some of the money went to help those most affected by it.

Gabe

He is from the area and I guess it's something personal. I too used to live nearby and it's one of those things, you remember everything you did that day and what you were doing when it happened. It was such a nice day until after lunchtime when it all kicked off. I think if anyone is going to make a film then it has to be a local, it depends on how they do it. Not from the eyes of the bombers, but maybe how normal people turned up and maybe the day in the life of the victims in remembrance?

Onionman

As long as it's done tastefully and respectfully I think it's perfectly fine for such a movie to be made. And particularly if it's by a local like Mark Wahlberg, which would definitely be preferable. I'm from London and if there was ever going to be a movie about the 7/7 terrorist attack there a few years ago I definitely would not want Hollywood to take control of such a project.

JoanMcWench

Not a fan of the idea. That is unless every dollar of the money goes into the victims bank accounts. Otherwise, I'd tell Mark Wahlberg to kick rocks. I get so sick & tired of Hollywood making ridiculous amounts of money off the tragedy of others because they themselves have decided to let all the great storytellers move on to television & couldn't write a good screenplay if their life depended on it. Clearly, I have some opinions about this matter...:rolleyes:

Gabe

They should wait until the case is over. There are other Boston natives like Matt Damon and Ben Affleck who may have ideas as well. I am sure all proceeds would go towards the victims and Boston projects, but regardless someone will make a film but not for a long time I hope as it is still too raw.

Rainman

It's too early to make the film. The wounds are still raw. They shouldn't be rubbing in salt now. While giving the money to charity certainly is a isn't such a bad idea, those who lost much would rather not be reminded of that dark day. But I doubt that their opinion will make Mark Wahlberg reconsider . . .

lushlala

I too wouldn't have a problem with it, but then I'm not directly connected with the area. I agree with Gabe that it would be better to wait for the case to conclude, too; that way the film would be more all rounded. The locals might have a strong opinion on it and it may be a good idea to conduct research to find out how they feel about it beforehand, as a mark of respect. It helps that Mark Wahlberg is from the area. I think as long as it's done sympathetically,respectfully and tastefully as Onionman said, without the usual embellishment that Hollywood seems to favour, and some of the dividends were donated to local causes, it would be ok.