Cops with Medical Marijuana Cards?

OMGnoWAY

Now that Medical Marijuana is legal in many states (and recreational is now in a couple as well), what are law enforcement's views on hiring cops with medical marijuana cards? I understand that on a federal level marijuana is still illegal, but I don't see why cops local within municipalities where it is legal or medically legal should be penalized for legal marijuana use.

RingoBerry

How bad an illness does one have to have before they are prescribed to use medicinal marijuana? I think I'd like to know the answer to this first before making any assumptions though another would be, if tested, will the results show their usage and if they could tell based on the test results the difference between the medicinal and the illegal kind of marijuana. It might sway my opinion if tests can't determine the difference between the two because that's a window for abuse right there. I hope someone can enlighten us about this more.

OMGnoWAY

How bad the illness has to be depends on the state. For instance, in California you can have just about anything, but in Vermont you pretty much have to have like cancer or AIDs or something crazy bad. But when it comes down to it, I'm pretty sure it's illegal as heck to ask your employees what conditions they have that their medication is prescribed for.

As for medicinal vs street, there is no difference. It's the same plant. Medical vs street just has to do with usage (legal if you have a medical card, illegal if you don't have one). So the medical card doesn't actually tell you anything about where their marijuana came from or how much they are taking.

As for the abuse part, I think marijuana abuse is a highly contested subject. You can't OD on it or get physically addicted to it, for instance, so you're not causing any harm to your body directly. But people with certain personality types can use it irresponsibly (i.e. while at work) if they want to. But then again, people prescribed Ambien for sleep could take it at work if they wanted to, but we assume that if it is doctor approved and the person is acting normally that they are not abusing it.

missbishi

If you were eligible to recive medical marijuana, the chances are that you'd be too ill to be working in the first place. @OMGnoWAY, that's a great point about Ambien you make. There are several other controlled medications out there which are commonly prescribed yet are open to abuse. Where do we draw the line?

OMGnoWAY

It's possible that someone could need medical marijuana and not be too ill to work the majority of the time. People with say, a pinched nerve, might have it only act up for a few days per month.

I think we can all agree that police officers should be drug tested regularly. We don't want people in such a place of power taking drugs on the side either as bribes or from evidence lockers. Marijuana is an interesting case, though, because it is only legal by prescription in a handful of states and is one of those drugs that show up on drug tests long after it's "out of your system".

Shimus

If this came up, I'd expect them to talk extensively with their respective superiors about is it ok, how much is to be done, not doing it on shift, etc.

Kittyworker

If you were eligible to recive medical marijuana, the chances are that you'd be too ill to be working in the first place.

This is what I was thinking. Even if they aren't too ill to work the Police Department might be able to point to the fact that they have medical marijuana was grounds to dismiss them. I personally don't think it should be a problem for Cops to use Marijuana recreationally in states where it is legal. Not when they are off duty. On duty it should be treated the same as if they were Drunk.

Shimus

You do realize medical marijuana is prescribed for a variety of reasons it's known to help? Like Glaucoma (eyesight) or Lack of Weight Gain (making you hungry) and plenty of minor side-effects are countered by this?

I still feel the cops behind the question are human, just like we are. They'll have situations, just like we have. We shouldn't point fingers or make a deal of it - and they should do it OFF SHIFT.

JoanMcWench

My assumption would be that there would be restrictions in place. Perhaps, they could partake on their off time but because it can affect their reaction time. However, I'm sure there are specific rules about using pain killers & the like so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to apply the same set of rules.

Shimus

My assumption would be that there would be restrictions in place. Perhaps, they could partake on their off time but because it can affect their reaction time. However, I'm sure there are specific rules about using pain killers & the like so I don't see why they wouldn't be able to apply the same set of rules.

I'm hoping the bolded statement holds true. I think they should be treated no differently. There has to be a rigid ruleset involving any drug that could otherwise change mindsets or alter state of being.

Gelsemium

I feel that the law has to be the same to all, so if for some reason a police officer is prescribed marijuana, I don't see why he can't continue to be a police officer, what would be the problem in that?

JohnBrock

As long as he doesn't work while influenced by the drug, I honestly cannot see the problem. I don't feel like I am very progressive in how I handle this question, but I don't feel that marijuana is too strong a drug to constitute being illegal. Alcohol is far worse in my eyes, and I don't even smoke marijuana

Shimus

It is true. You don't hear of stoned drivers smashing into a family of five. Or a smoker who kills someone out of emotion. Generally they're all chill. Alcohol turns into monsters; and some monsters lose themselves easily to substance abuse. The Cops in question might abuse this though unless there are laws and orders put into place to stop them from doing it on duty.

JohnBrock

It is true. You don't hear of stoned drivers smashing into a family of five. Or a smoker who kills someone out of emotion. Generally they're all chill. Alcohol turns into monsters; and some monsters lose themselves easily to substance abuse. The Cops in question might abuse this though unless there are laws and orders put into place to stop them from doing it on duty.

yeah, at the very least, marijuana doesn't have a tend to turn people violent, annoying - yes, dangerous - rarely.

Alcohol however, is fucking scary.

wahmed

To be honest I doubt that you would be very healthy if you are getting medical marijuana. Cops need to be at the top of their game so I doubt they can even be a part of the police academy.