Death penalty sought for Chapel Hill gunman

missbishi

Gabe

The state has the death penalty so I imagine it will be on the cards as it was murder. People have been put on death row for less and he turned himself in, so a guilty plea is more than likely so who knows what is being dealt with behind the scenes? People do want to see him in court and to pay.

Rainman

The death penalty won't balance the scales. It would be much better for him to b sent to prison and maybe he'll meet a few Muslims there who will teach him a lesson or two about Islamophobia. The death penalty would be doing him a kindness he doesn't deserve.

Gabe

This case depends on the motive as there was a long history of a neighborly dispute over parking which is documented. His social media pages did have posts that pointed to religious prejudice, but is that proof? A post cannot be construed as proof that is was directed at a particular person or religion, because it comes under free speech. That would be saying people who post on forums their views on religion, homosexuality etc, could be used as evidence as a motive. I have only seen snippets of the posts, so I cannot say, but one should be able to express views without being seen as racist.

What he did was cruel and wrong, but was it premeditated or did he just snap? Either way he will be getting life or death.

Gelsemium

I think he should be allowed to return to society, but as a principle I am against the death penalty. He should get a life sentence IMO.

Gabe

I think he should be allowed to return to society, but as a principle I am against the death penalty. He should get a life sentence IMO.

What do you mean return to society? He handed himself in, which indicates a guilty plea so with three murders the minimum would be life, times three. He won't get parole and will never be set free.

stevesxs9

That's exactly what I was going to say about him entering a guilty plea and getting life without the possibility of parole. I understand people saying that the death penalty won't bring the three victims back. But this form of punishment is not designed to bring anybody back, its there for accountability. I believe Through the years the homeless, the prostitutes, the gang members and even organized crime has somehow devalued life in the eyes of many people where it was once precious and held most sacred. Nowadays murderers receive less time than a small time crook with no felonies.

dyanmarie25

I am not really advocating death penalty because it's against my views and beliefs. But I agree that this kind of case is a serious one and could be considered as an attack to Muslim people. However, violence is never the answer. He ought to go to jail and be sentenced to life imprisonment. Fair enough, I guess.