Declaring your sexual orientation

Gabe

When you apply for the academy, do you have the declare your sexual orientation and do you think it matters?

A friend in the UK is bisexual and had a lesbian marriage, but now they are separated and she has never declared this. I don't think it should matter, but if it was on record it would show a conflict of interest if the person was arrested or wanted to questioning. Otherwise it would be up to the police officer to declare this.

FuZyOn

I don't think that sexual orientation should matter. I mean, does it affect someone's working capability if he's gay or a lesbian?
I sure hope that not a lot of police stations take this in consideration.

missbishi

I'm almost certain that it's illegal for a prospective employer to ask this question in the UK. This would include the Police Force. Not that it makes a blind bit of difference either way.

dyanmarie25

I don't also think it matters. So what if this person is gay, lesbian, or bisexual? Does it mean he/she doesn't have any right to be a police officer now? So yeah, it should not be a big deal.

lushlala

I hate this type of thing on forms, the same goes for having to indicate your race. I think it has the potential of being discriminatory and like everyone says, what bearing does your sexual orientation or race have on your ability to do your job? I would hate to know that I missed out on a job on those grounds, or perhaps even worse; that I was simply a statistic, filling up the required quota for a certain category :(

Rainman

It would be considered a politically incorrect question in many places today. Does sexual orientation influence how someone interacts with others? Maybe it does. But on a professional level? It doesn't or at least, it shouldn't. And that's probably the reason they wouldn't want to find out if someone is straight, gay, bisexual, etc.

JoanMcWench

I'm almost certain that it's illegal for a prospective employer to ask this question in the UK. This would include the Police Force. Not that it makes a blind bit of difference either way.

Agreed. I would think it would be illegal in the states as well. It's a form of discrimination. Asking the question is irrelevant to the job. Your religion & race sits there as well.