Ferguson police chief quits

missbishi

Thomas Jackson, the police chief of Ferguson has agreed to resign, following calls from protesters and state leaders. Last week, the US Department of Justice issued a report accusing the city of Ferguson of using the police force and court houses to make money. Since then, another five employees have resigned or have been fired. The Attourney General says that the force will now be dismantled and rebuilt.

BBC News - Ferguson police chief Tom Jackson quits

pandabear1991

My husband and I were looking at this and I would have stepped down a long time ago. I feel bad for officers because it doesn't take much to look like a bad guy--not saying he was bad or good. But when you look at the "evidence" of the court house "making money," and the odds are against you, might as well step down and take what you can. I know a lot of people are still throwing race into this, but when you look at the population percentages race wise quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/29/2923986.html I mean, how can you avoid not arresting more of one race, when one race is 67% of the population. I am in no way saying wrong doings didn't happen, but either way 7/10 people in that town as one race, one race will ultimately be arrested more because they are the majority--I know it sounds bad but if this race was the minority, then I could see race as a huge factored problem.

Patrick

It's a really sensitive topic, and I agree that the best way to bring a close to all these events that have occurred is for the management to step down.

Rainman

Some good news from Ferguson finally. What I like more is they'll be getting a brand new police force.

The Attorney General says that the force will now be dismantled and rebuilt.

New faces, people who are more likely to actually serve and protect. In light of last year's shootings, protests, claims of racism, etc, I believe this is the right action.