Florida boy accused of shooting homeless man

Anthony

Super Moderator
boysharron.jpg
Police arrested a 12-year-old Florida boy and have accused him of fatally shooting a homeless man in the head.
Sharron Townsend is charged with murder in the killing of 54-year old Thomas Trent. The suspect was arrested after investigators recognized him in a surveillance video, said Jacksonville Sheriff's Office Assistant Chief Chris Butler.
Police say the suspect shot the victim while he was sitting in a vehicle parked in the city of Jacksonville in northern Florida on June 28.
"It's a horrific event," said Butler at a news conference. "Horrific for the victim, but also you're talking about a 12-year-old child."
Police don't think Townsend knew Thomas Trent. "They may have seen each other around, but they didn't have a relationship," said Butler. "To me it just seems somebody just went by and shot the individual."
[video=youtube_share;YZJCLjZRSmM]http://youtu.be/YZJCLjZRSmM[/video]
Authorities said Trent's body was discovered at a vacant business building.
"The suspect gave admissions, and he identified himself in the video and being present and involved in the murder," Butler said.
A homeless man, who went by the name Wolverine, told reporters that he has seen Townsend give Trent a hard time in the past. "I've watched it go on and on and on. He would drink and they'd come around and throw stuff on him when he was passed out, and he would cuss them and throw stuff at them," Wolverine said. "Then they started urinating on him and would pour Cokes on him, so he got mad and threw rocks at them and I think he hit one of them."
When neighbors heard Townsend might be involved with the shooting incident they were not surprised.
They said the suspect was always in getting into trouble, and they were all scared of him.
"No good. I don't have anything good to say about him," said a person who didn't want to be identified.
Police say they have yet to locate the weapon that was use in the shooting.
Authorities are still trying to determine why Trent was shot. The State Attorney's Office has yet to file charges in the case and hey haven't decided if the suspect is going to be tried as an adult.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muthoni

I think that it is possible for someone to just snap. What other explanation can you give when a 12 year old takes a gun and shoots a homeless man? I am also wondering where his parents are in this picture. Are they so afraid of him that they cannot teach him right from wrong? He does not understand the value of life; he has ruined his own.

Strykstar

Well before he shot the homeless man he had already urinated on him and poured Cokes on him so it's not just an isolated case of the kid snapping, he clearly isn't right in his head and needs psychiatric help.

Peninha

I am truly sad when I read news like this, not enough to be homeless, but also be a victim of some crazy boy with a gun, no question that kid needs to be locked up before he hurts more people.

mairj23

This is bad parenting 101. How does a 12 year old boy get this way; the child's parents or lack there of. These laws should be changed and start charging the no good moms and dads right along with what ever crime the child does. Now lets see how much better society would be.

Gabe

There seems to be no motive, but pure malice which is even worse. By the sounds of it, he was known to the police and the neighborhood. Maybe with stricter laws he could have been caught earlier on a less serious crime and this one prevented.

I do hate how people think they can treat homeless people so appallingly as they are humans. There is no excuse and the child knew what he was doing.