Foster dad charged with murder

Anthony

Super Moderator
sethfosterdad.jpg
A Kansas foster dad accused of leaving a 10-month-old child to die inside a hot vehicle was charged on Wednesday in Sedgwick County Court with first-degree murder.
The suspect, Seth Jackson, told authorities that he had “somehow forgotten†leaving the little girl in the back seat after he picked her up from the baby sitter Thursday around 4 p.m.
He explained to police that he went inside the house with a 5-year-old child, however he left the toddler in the car seat. Jackson said he totally forgot about the child until something he saw on the television that reminded him. The child had been in the sweltering car for almost two hours. Temperatures at the time of incident was around 90 degrees. Around 6:40 p.m., Jackson called 911. They arrived to the scene and the girl was pronounced dead a few moments later.
“It blows my mind. He loved those kids and they loved him so much. I’m mad, but at the same time, accidents do happen. I’m sure he is beat down inside. It’s hard to say what the charge should be,†said grandmother Cindy Poe.
[video=youtube_share;llHPLmviC78]http://youtu.be/llHPLmviC78[/video]
The foster dad made his first court appearance Wednesday to hear the charges against him. Jackson is being charged with first-degree murder instead of a lesser charge of aggravated child endangerment.
Jackson's defense lawyer, John Stang doesn't agree with the charges.
"Overcharged, in my opinion," Stang said. "Rather high for a mistake. I'm not trying to say it's not a horrible loss. The death of a child is an awful thing. But this person is looking at 15 more years than someone who was driving drunk and ran into a car and killed someone."
Sedgwick County District Attorney Marc Bennett disagreed with Stang. He said the charge was correct. He explained the little girl died during the commission of an inherently dangerous felony, aggravated endangering of a child.
“He is devastated. He wants to die," said Dottie, the mother of Jackson. "Nothing like that should have ever happened to a child, and he knows it, and he wants to be the one. He should be the one and not her,†added Dottie.
Jackson and his partner had been trying to adopt the little girl. Records show they have been taken care of her for nearly all her life. The couple also have three other foster children, ages 3, 5 and 18, and had two adopted children, ages 5 and 7.
Seth Jackson, 29, is being held on $250,000 bail.

Last edited by a moderator:

Muthoni

When I read this story, I wondered if there is a bug causing forgetfulness. This must be traumatizing to the foster dad to be the cause of the death of his child. Only an inhumane person would leave an innocent child to die in the car as he sits watching television. I hope that the truth comes out on what actually happened.

mairj23

A very sad story here. I just hope I never am in a situation like this. I'm very causious especially when I have kids around. If the guy truly did forget, may God be with him. If this was done by negligence, he should face any punishment thrown at him.

Gabe

It can happen and basically it seems they took on more children than they can cope with. I have read stories where parents have forgotten to drop their child off at day care and after work returned to the car to find a dead toddler in the back. People get distracted with phones and forget and this is the price they pay.

I don't think it was murder as it was not planned, but was child endangerment and negligence.

Josie

There are some details missing, but I'm wondering how you can go home from something you possibly do routinely, to a quiet home, to sit down and watch tv for two hours without thought to a TODDLER! Did he also routinely ignore her? Because then I can see how this may have happened. But toddlers are little wrecking balls.. two hours without one thought of her? Something isn't right with this one and it may be the missing pieces that explain why the charges are accurate.

donnalynn47

Wow what is wrong with these people. I mean what part of leave helpless babies in baking cars don't they get.