Fraudster fakes an email to the prison and gets released

bala

Wow..I don't know if i should praise him or loathe on him,for committing a heinous but intelligent crime.
Does this amount to a big crime or is i just a "small" punishable offence.

missbishi

That was clever! I can't believe he got away with something so simple though - I imagine that email verification and security procedures will be stepped up at prisons around the UK now.

Rainman

Smart criminal. Why go through all that then turn himself in? I just read a story about a woman who posed as a lawyer for ten years and her deceit was discovered only when she was named partner.
A woman used forged documents to pose as an estate lawyer for a decade and made partner at her small firm before her fraud was discovered, according to charges announced Friday.
State prosecutors contend Kitchen fooled BMZ Law by forging a law license, bar exam results, an email showing she attended Duquesne University law school . . .

With emails, it's very easy to make it appear like they have been sent by . . . well, anyone.

Gabe

I think he handed himself in because he would have to be on the run all the time and it would put the people he knew in jeopardy. With scams like this it requires confidence to pull it off and I suspect he tried it and wasn't sure it would work, but it did. Wandsworth Prison is not a small prison either, so they will get the rap for not checking and also allowing an illegal phone in the cells.

thegrey1

LOL I can't help it, I applaud this guy!;) I can't help but admire genius, even if it is evil genius. I'll bet he was surprised that it actually worked!

bala

LOL I can't help it, I applaud this guy!;) I can't help but admire genius, even if it is evil genius. I'll bet he was surprised that it actually worked!
And to note that those officials there were complete imbeciles to have let him go without further checks.
Baffling that all these age old techniques stil lwork.:p

Whitewolf2578

Figures it was in the UK, you can't fake that kind of stuff in the US. They have to be called, Mailed and Emailed just to get released. Then they have to sit down with them for an interview upon release. I know there is a lot of other steps that you have to take just to get out of prison. Well at least they learned their lesson and stepped up their security protocol.

bala

Figures it was in the UK, you can't fake that kind of stuff in the US. They have to be called, Mailed and Emailed just to get released. Then they have to sit down with them for an interview upon release. I know there is a lot of other steps that you have to take just to get out of prison. Well at least they learned their lesson and stepped up their security protocol.
In the UK..? You mean to say they never really verify docs in the UK.?
How crazy..? Can u breif me more on this because what you said is a tad incomplete and leaves much to be answered.

Patrick

Hopefully this will raise some serious security reviews. Honestly such important correspondence should be done in person, or at least in writing with official signatures, stamps and other means of verifying authenticity.

Gabe

They do verify documents in the UK, so he must have found the identity of someone in court and created a fake domain and then sent instructions to the prison inbox to release him on bail as he was in remand. The prison should take the blame as there were spelling errors in the email and they should have called to confirm the email was from who it said it was from. The prison was expecting him to out on bail soon, so the communication was not unexpected as that is what his solicitor had come to discuss with him when they discovered he had gone.

I imagine the prison will implement double checks now. Once bail has been paid, then a prisoner is allowed out on bail. He must have faked a document saying it had been paid.

oraclemay

I have to agree that I must also applaud his genius. Perhaps he just wanted an outing or to visit someone in particular. Maybe he just wanted to see if he could do it. Some people enjoy a challenge. I have to laugh at this!