Gun training

Gabe

What is the right age for anyone to learn to handle a gun? I know from other posts people who were brought up on farms and in rural areas learn young because they have to, but for 'normal' suburban people or city folk what should the legal age be?

Last year there was a story of a nine-year old who shot her instructor by accident, but her parents were with her as they were on a training course. I think that's wrong and with live ammunition.

Rainman

I think, though I can't be too sure about it, that a kid should be at least 14 years old . . .

Nonetheless whether or that patient depends entirely on their desire to teach their kids how to defend themselves in case of anything. That's why you'll find parents teaching [them] their kids how to shoot guns when they are still very young.

I believe the legal age ranges from 14-16.

Gabe

I think, though I can't be too sure about it, that a kid should be at least 14 years old . . .

Nonetheless whether or that patient depends entirely on their desire to teach their kids how to defend themselves in case of anything. That's why you'll find parents teaching [them] their kids how to shoot guns when they are still very young.

Scary, but I guess it varies state to state and towns even as fathers take their sons hunting. They can't get married, have sex, drive, drink or smoke, but know how to shoot and kill someone. Minnesota says 11 year olds can attend course and have a certificate at 12 years old. This is mainly for hunting. In Montana you can own a gun at 14 years old!

DancingLady

I think 14 is probably old enough. It makes sense to me that gun training should not be for kids who are not even in HS yet. I don't see why boys would need to be hunting with their dads any younger than that really. By 14 kids will be old enough to really understand what they are doing and also have the physical strength to handle it.

GemmaRowlands

I actually don't think that people should be able to have guns at all, but I suppose that is an issue for another debate entirely, isn't it. But if guns do have to be a part of society, then I don't think that people should be able to have them until they are adults. They need to understand not only how to use a gun, but also what types of damage that gun could do, and how much harm they could cause if they used the gun when they shouldn't be doing so. There are a lot of injuries and deaths because of teenage gangs carrying guns and using them at the wrong times, and this is something that could quite easily be eradicated with a change in the law about when people can actually be trained to use such things.

Profit5500

I never been to the range in my life. I do not believe a 9-year-old girl should be firing a gun at the range. It is okay for maybe a 14 year old if they are mature enough to be taught but the parent would should really be adamant about teaching gun safety.

mairj23

I don't think 9 year olds should be gun training. That's too young and there has been some accidents in recent memories. I would say that 13 is a good age to teach the youth, as they're older and more understanding what the training is for. These people putting guns in little kids hands should be charged if that child shoots someone.

shilpa123

I do not think children should be trained about gun. It is really unsafe and definitely not helpful. I think it is risky.