Many flashlight apps on phones are malware!

Patrick

Source: http://www.snoopwall.com/wp-content/...endix-2014.pdf

The list of apps which can cause infection and steal your data are:

• Super-Bright LED Flashlight
    Brightest Flashlight Free
    Tiny Flashlight + LED
    Flashlight (x2)
    Brightest LED Flashlight
    Color Flashlight
    High-Powered Flashlight
    Flashlight HD LED
    Flashlight: LED Torch Light

This is worrying, while I did not install the apps I know many people who did, since it was fairly useful in certain scenarios. It reiterates the importance of double-checking the app permissions on whatever apps you install on your phone.

bala

What if its all built in..?
I have this Assistive light feature that is just simple but yet an in built app.I reckon most of the in built ones aren't malwares..right.?
can you brief us with a list..?

Patrick

What if its all built in..?
I have this Assistive light feature that is just simple but yet an in built app.I reckon most of the in built ones aren't malwares..right.?
can you brief us with a list..?

The most important thing to do would be to go to the page for the app on the App store, and see what permissions it requires. It should not require any special permissions, especially for sensitive data like GPS, phone contacts etc. Also you could check the weblink I provided to see if your app is among the discovered malware.

GlacialDoom

Thanks for the heads-up! I will definitely tell all my friends about this, as some of them use this kind of apps.

I find it very shitty of people to do this.

bala

The most important thing to do would be to go to the page for the app on the App store, and see what permissions it requires. It should not require any special permissions, especially for sensitive data like GPS, phone contacts etc. Also you could check the weblink I provided to see if your app is among the discovered malware.
Well actually it came along with the phone and i reckon it sure isn't a malware and also thanks to you for that briefing.I really am getting to know what is allowed and what isn't.
The web link though appears broken...

Teens In Crisis

Thanks for the heads up. I carry a multi-tool on my keyring, so it's not really something I use, but I do have a few friends, and wife, that use the app all the time too.