Mom Tries To Poison Kids In Suicide Attempt

Anthony

Super Moderator
AmeliaWest.jpg
A Florida woman has been arrested after allegedly poisoning her two children, a 2-year-old and 3-month-old with toilet bowl cleaner, police said.
Amelia West, 29, reportedly drank some herself Saturday in what authorites are calling an attempted murder-suicide.
The three family members were found by officers responding to a reported suicide around 10:30 a.m. They were transported to Halifax Medical Center for observation and were later released, police said.
"We were advised that the cleaner was not deadly in the amount ingested and the proper course of action was to flush the system with fluids to remove it from the bond," police stated in their report.
West told Port Orange police they ingested Seventh Generation brand toilet-bowl cleaner. She put the cleaner into a sippy cup for her toddler, then poured the cleaner in the infant's mouth and she drank from the bottle.
"Amelia West stated that she thought she was doing the right thing by giving herself and her children the 7th Generation brand toilet bowl cleaner to drink,'' police said. "Amelia West stated she thought it would be better if she and her two children would go to Heaven and be with God."
West admitted to police she has a history with depression. Her husband was out of town for work at the time of the incident.
The children were placed with family members Saturday afternoon.
West is being charged with two counts of attempted murder and two counts of aggravated child abuse. She is being held without bond and remains at the Volusia County Branch Jail.

Last edited by a moderator:

pattycake

I'm sorry for the depressed condition of the mother, but I'm glad that the children survived and hope that the states will keep them safe.

pattycake

I hope that this woman gets the help that she needs. Perhaps one day she will feel better about herself and life and maybe even be reunited her children as a real mother.

mimsee

This woman definitely has a lot of mental health issues going on to think that her children (and herself) would be better off dead. I really hope she gets the help she needs, but I also hope that she's never allowed around those children alone again.

Muthoni

Depression is a serious disease that should be treated as soon as it is discovered. Is she a stay at home mom? I feel sad for her that she could not talk to her husband about her struggles. In addition, it is unfortunate that she may be separated from her children. I hope that she obtains the proper help she need to overcome this problem.

pattycake

Depression is a serious disease that should be treated as soon as it is discovered. Is she a stay at home mom? I feel sad for her that she could not talk to her husband about her struggles. In addition, it is unfortunate that she may be separated from her children. I hope that she obtains the proper help she need to overcome this problem.

I don't believe that depression has anything to do with the decision to kill or harm a child in any way. Some really scary things are happening now, and it's happening mostly to children. Parents are starting to act as terrorists to their kids. So terrorism is starting to become rampant in the US. I think that now is the time more than ever to get important messages about life out to the masses.

warmweatherwoman

Depression can make you do and think things you never would of otherwise. And if you have no experience with depression I suggest you do not judge.

I suffered from a state of depression for two years. I can honestly say that I never had suicidal thoughts UNTIL the doctor put me on anti-depressants. At the first thought I immediately stopped all medications and went searching for a more holistic approach. I wonder if this woman was taking any anti-depressants at all- it would explain the mental state she may have been in for sure.

Peninha

I am glad to see that it was just an attempt, even so a really sad story, our kids are the most precious things we have.

caparica007

It's totally delusional to think that we are going to god after killing ourselves, that's hardly an act of god.

Allison2021

Most women are in contact with family members. It is just asocial issue that most women experience. I wonder if any of family members knew of her mental state. Were any of them aware of how crazy she had become? If they were aware of her descending state of madness, then would they be partially legally responsible for protecting those children?

Gelsemium

Those are great and valid questions Allison, but sometimes medicines just mask everything up, a person can look ok, but in fact inside is a total mess.

pattycake

Depression can make you do and think things you never would of otherwise. And if you have no experience with depression I suggest you do not judge.

I suffered from a state of depression for two years. I can honestly say that I never had suicidal thoughts UNTIL the doctor put me on anti-depressants. At the first thought I immediately stopped all medications and went searching for a more holistic approach. I wonder if this woman was taking any anti-depressants at all- it would explain the mental state she may have been in for sure.

My question to you is this: Would you have killed your child when you were depressed?

And yes, I have experience with depression and had suicidal thoughts. I was in fact on antidepressants for several years. And I can declare with all certainty that I would not have harmed a child in any way.

dolittle94

My question to you is this: Would you have killed your child when you were depressed?

And yes, I have experience with depression and had suicidal thoughts. I was in fact on antidepressants for several years. And I can declare with all certainty that I would not have harmed a child in any way.
I agree with you pattycake. No matter what you are going through or how hard your life gets and brings you down, that is no excuse for someone to make an attempt to kill anyone, let alone your own children. Not only were her actions crazy, deranged and immoral, but they were also selfish. Your life isn't going the way you want it so you want to commit suicide and drag your kids along for the ride?

Sweetheart

Well she's distorted. Serious personal problems. It is not for her to say that the kids would be better off dead. Another one that should just let the kids go. Money problems, man problems, something is off.